Multiple MIDI Faders Crashes ShowXpress [fixed]

live control with midi devices

Multiple MIDI Faders Crashes ShowXpress [fixed]

Postby Sunrise » 22 September 2021, 22:32

Sending input from 3-4 MIDI faders simultaneously will consistently crash ShowXpress. If I send from 8 faders at once, it will instantly crash. All faders are set up as ControlChange messages. I am using Bome's MIDI Translator as a go-between to manage my MIDI controllers (Livid Base II and Numark Orbit) and allow them to also respond to Traktor Pro 3. ShowXpress will still crash under the load of a single 8-fader wing with Traktor and Bome's closed.

Is there anything I can do to improve stability? Does ShowXpress simply not operate well with simultaneous commands from more than 1 fader?
Sunrise

Re: Multiple MIDI Faders Crashes ShowXpress

Postby support » 23 September 2021, 09:02

Please tell us:
- the Operating System
- the version of our software (in the welcome screen)
And post a link to a ZIP of your lightshow (https://thelightingcontroller.com/viewt ... ?f=3&t=168).
The Lighting Controller
support
Administrateur

Postby Sunrise » 23 September 2021, 14:31

Operating System: Windows 10 Home, version 21H1 (on current update)
Hardware: Lenovo T470s, Core i5, 20 GB RAM, integrated graphics

MIDI Devices: Numark Orbit, Livid Base II (both devices control the first 4 master faders)
MIDI Software: Bome's MIDI Translator v1.8.3

ShowXpress Version: 9.2.23 - 201127 - 64 Bits
Show File: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1MgVeo6 ... sp=sharing
Sunrise

Postby Niffo » 24 September 2021, 16:55

Could you please also send us the file "param.ini" in the folder "YourHomeDirectory/TheLightingController/" ?
Niffo
Administrateur

Postby Sunrise » 26 September 2021, 22:45

Here you go
Attachments
param.ini
(597 Bytes) Downloaded 486 times
Sunrise

Postby Niffo » 27 September 2021, 09:53

We are not able to reproduce a crash moving multiples faders (control change) together from a midi device with the latest software version.
Looking at your lightshow, we think you can try to (one at a time) :
- Update your software with the latest fix file (v9.2.32 at this time)
- Disable midi output from the main preferences (to isolate an infinite loopback problem)
- Disable faders midi output in Live settings (only useful with motorized or lighted physical faders)
- If possible, directly configure your midi device in the software instead of passing by a MIDI Translator (crashes can come from a buggy midi translator as already seen)

In addition, we are going to send you a debug executable of the software wich should display informations at crash time.
Niffo
Administrateur

Postby support » 27 September 2021, 11:19

In addition, we are going to send you a debug executable of the software wich should display informations at crash time.

Link sent via PM.
The Lighting Controller
support
Administrateur

Postby Sunrise » 03 October 2022, 21:57

Sorry for the long layoff, but I'm finally getting back to solving this problem.

Here's the error message provided by the debugging console when the crash in question happens.

[image]
Sunrise

Postby Sunrise » 03 October 2022, 23:26

- Update your software with the latest fix file (v9.2.32 at this time)
I have, but none of the updates over the past year have had any impact

[image]

- Disable midi output from the main preferences (to isolate an infinite loopback problem)
Error took longer than usual to generate and came back with a new message

[image]

- Disable faders midi output in Live settings (only useful with motorized or lighted physical faders)
Error took longer than usual to generate and came back with an identical message to the previous fix

[image]
Sunrise

Postby Sunrise » 03 October 2022, 23:54

Sooo, onto your last fix suggestion:
- If possible, directly configure your midi device in the software instead of passing by a MIDI Translator (crashes can come from a buggy midi translator as already seen)

It's not possible until you either provide us more master faders or support multiple MIDI inputs to a single fader

That said, I started tinkering with Bome's to see if I could eliminate the issue by eliminating code.

1) Disabled the fader input commands coming from the Livid Base II (typically not the cause of the problem) - still crashed, but new error!
MIDI Fader Error - disabled LIVID input to fader.png
MIDI Fader Error - disabled LIVID input to fader.png (8.99 KiB) Viewed 4694 times

2) Disabled the fader output commands passing ShowXpress feedback to both the Livid Base II and Numark Orbit - back to the old error!

[image]
Sunrise

Next

Return to Midi