Assign Sequential Lists to Buttons [done]

stack scenes and play them with a "GO" button

Assign Sequential Lists to Buttons [done]

Postby FallGuy » 23 February 2020, 19:45

I use the sequential list functionality to assign a group of light scenes related to individual songs. I like the ability to manually trigger the progression of the scenes, since lighting for a live band cannot always be perfectly timed from start to end. I do struggle with accessing the lists though. If I create a sequential list for each individual song, I have to quickly 'open' the right stored sequential list to move from one song to another. If I create one large sequential list, I have to scroll through the very large stored sequential list to find the first scene for each song. Both approaches are tough when the band has a large playlist, and can make adjustments to their playlist order on the fly.

Question is if I can add stored sequential lists to the "Live - Buttons" area, similar to the way I add scenes and macros? For example, I could have a button representing each of the songs in the playlist, each assigned to a different stored sequential list? The sequential list functionality is great, but seems limiting if you have a large playlist and you have to be able to quickly move from one song to another.

or is there different functionality within ShowXpress that you would recommend for this type of work?
FallGuy

Re: Assign Sequential Lists to Buttons

Postby SeekLighting » 23 February 2020, 20:40

I have previously requested this function as well, as what you're talking about is exactly the same as what I primarily use the software for. So +1 from me!
SeekLighting

Postby JohnRichards » 24 February 2020, 05:44

I have always used TimeLine for this with pause waiting for for next scene within a sequence
JohnRichards

Postby FallGuy » 25 February 2020, 02:41

John, thanks for the idea, as I'm willing to try anything. Here is what happens when I try your idea.

Lets say scene 1 is a sequence of blue and green alternating lights, and scene two transitions to red and yellow flashing lights. By putting a pause at the end of scene 1, the alternating blue/green colors just stop on whatever color was active when the pause kicked in, awaiting my command to move to scene 2. If scene 1 would continue looping until I was ready to move to scene 2, I think your idea would work. but as indicated, all activity just pauses. Also, if the band finished the verse, chorus, etc. early, I have to wait for the scene to get to the pause before I can advance to the next scene right?

I really like the idea of using timelines if possible. Do you have ideas on how to overcome what essentially are timing issues?
* Pause causes a freeze, even if the scene has lights transitioning
* Triggering the next scene early in the timeline if the band is ahead of pace
FallGuy

Postby SeekLighting » 25 February 2020, 12:35

FallGuy wrote:John, thanks for the idea, as I'm willing to try anything. Here is what happens when I try your idea.

Lets say scene 1 is a sequence of blue and green alternating lights, and scene two transitions to red and yellow flashing lights. By putting a pause at the end of scene 1, the alternating blue/green colors just stop on whatever color was active when the pause kicked in, awaiting my command to move to scene 2. If scene 1 would continue looping until I was ready to move to scene 2, I think your idea would work. but as indicated, all activity just pauses. Also, if the band finished the verse, chorus, etc. early, I have to wait for the scene to get to the pause before I can advance to the next scene right?

I really like the idea of using timelines if possible. Do you have ideas on how to overcome what essentially are timing issues?
* Pause causes a freeze, even if the scene has lights transitioning
* Triggering the next scene early in the timeline if the band is ahead of pace

The professional way to do fully timeline synced shows is to have the band play with a click on in ear monitors, and have MIDI signals sent from the click track to trigger the lightshow.

If you are working with Bands that aren't at that level though then cue stacks (sequential list) is pretty much the standard.
SeekLighting

Postby FallGuy » 26 February 2020, 02:25

Agreed. Which circles me back to the original question. How to get the most out of that function by making the sequential lists quickly accessible. Perhaps it is more of a topic for the live-buttons discussion stream?
FallGuy

Postby SeekLighting » 26 February 2020, 10:40

FallGuy wrote:Agreed. Which circles me back to the original question. How to get the most out of that function by making the sequential lists quickly accessible. Perhaps it is more of a topic for the live-buttons discussion stream?

Yeah man I'm with you. Sequential lists on buttons is very similar to how other consoles/software assign cue stacks to faders. I'd love to see this implemented for when you're working with bands that don't have timecode-sync capabilities. Makes going between songs much easier.

My current way of working is just opening the next file between songs and having a button for an "in-between" state. If two songs flow straight together and I know that beforehand I'll make them as one combined sequential list.
SeekLighting

Postby FallGuy » 27 February 2020, 01:30

Thanks for the tips. Less than ideal, but I'll give them a try.
The band is willing to work with me on following a more consistent playlist, so that will help some.
Appreciate the idea exchange.
FallGuy

Postby support » 09 March 2020, 18:10

The Lighting Controller
support
Administrateur

Re: Assign Sequential Lists to Buttons [done]

Postby thierry84 » 10 March 2020, 19:53

super, merci
thierry84

Next