Slow generator playback

post here topics for Mac OS only

Slow generator playback

Postby livetechproductions » 16 December 2019, 11:21

Hi,

I recently bought a new Macbook Pro 16inch with MacOS Catalina installed. Everything's working perfectly fine with the latest version of QuickDMX, however I'm experiencing one issue.
When I playback the generator by hitting the play button the UI will slow down heavily. You'll see movement of the fixtures on screen stuttering alongside the generator shape. If I want to edit the 'Generator Fixture settings' (again during playback) and use one of the sliders it's really slow and can't be controlled very smooth anymore.
When switching between 3D view and the main screen while in generator-play-mode it takes seconds before it shows the main window again.

The movement of the actual fixtures in real-life as well as in 3D view itself are perfectly fine and smooth.

I've not experienced this with my old Macbook with High Sierra installed. My new one has high-end specifications so it surprises me it stutters that much in this particular case.
Any experience with this? Thanks.
livetechproductions

Re: Slow generator playback

Postby support » 16 December 2019, 16:03

Please try with the latest fix which is espacially made for Catalina: https://thelightingcontroller.com/viewt ... =85&t=3438

And yes, that would be great if you could compare same software version with same lightshow on your High Sierra computer.
The Lighting Controller
support
Administrateur

Postby livetechproductions » 16 December 2019, 20:07

I've tried the latest version including the fix on both my new Catalina Macbook as well as my old High Sierra Macbook. Both with the exact same LightShow version and Generator file.
The result is the same. Catalina is stuttering and High Sierra is smooth.
When looking to the activity monitor the app on Catalina takes about 3 times more CPU % than in High Sierra. Note that this only occurs when hitting the play button in Generator. In all other circumstances the app works smooth.

Again, playback to the actual fixtures and 3D view are alright so it's no showstopper, but editing generators during play back is very cumbersome because of the slow reacting app.
livetechproductions

Postby support » 17 December 2019, 16:22

We are not able to see that with the demo_show.
Could you please load the demo_show, and tell us if you see the same problem ?
If not, could you please post a link to download your lightshow (https://thelightingcontroller.com/viewt ... ?f=3&t=168) ?
This may help us to reproduce the problem.
The Lighting Controller
support
Administrateur

Postby livetechproductions » 21 December 2019, 14:12

I've tried the demo show and the result is the same. Still stuttering playback in the UI (still not in 3D view and DMX output luckily) and with rather unresponsive controls.
When playback stops it's all normal again.

Another strange thing is that always when I close QuickDMX MacOS comes back with a 'stopped unexpectedly'. No further effects though.

This is an excerpt from the MacOS log (can send you the full one privately because it includes personal laptop information):
Exception Type: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGSEGV)
Exception Codes: KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS at 0x0000000000000018
Exception Note: EXC_CORPSE_NOTIFY
livetechproductions

Postby support » 21 December 2019, 19:20

Thank you for this report.
Another strange thing is that always when I close QuickDMX MacOS comes back with a 'stopped unexpectedly'.

This is not normal.
That would be interesting to know if this is indeed always happen.
Could you please try with an empty lightshow and no dmx interface plugged, and let us know the result ?
The Lighting Controller
support
Administrateur

Postby livetechproductions » 05 January 2020, 19:11

Well, the crashes when exiting the program don't happen anymore for some reason.
The slow generator playback is still an ongoing issue.
livetechproductions

Postby support » 06 January 2020, 08:23

Well, the crashes when exiting the program don't happen anymore for some reason.

If we right understand:
- before it was crashing with the dmx interface (and may be you do not know without the dmx interface)
- now it does not crash with the same dmx interface
Coud you please confirm that ?

The slow generator playback is still an ongoing issue.

Even without any plugged dmx interface and with a brand new lightshow ?
The Lighting Controller
support
Administrateur

Postby livetechproductions » 13 January 2020, 08:18

Before it was crashing with and without the DMX interface (also with an empty lightshow).
The crashing seems to be gone but yesterday it crashed once again when closing the program. Luckily, so far, it didn't crash during running the program so that's good :)

Slow generator is slow in any possible setup. With or without DMX interface, empty or full lightshow.

Regards,
Jeroen
livetechproductions

Return to Mac OS