Midi to control stepping through steps in a scene

live control with midi devices

Midi to control stepping through steps in a scene

Postby GPC » 11 May 2018, 14:29

This is really a feature request as I don't believe there is currently a way to achieve the following with ShowXpress:

Aim:
To be able to use a single midi button to step through the individual steps in a single scene.

Example:
Set up a scene where each 'STEP' is a colour in the chosen lighting fixture (STEP1=red, STEP2=blue, STEP3=green, etc.).
Assign a midi button so that multiple presses will step through each available STEP in the scene in turn (PRESS1=red, PRESS2=blue, PRESS3=green, etc.).

There is already a 'PRESET FADER' that allows the user to pre-select which step is used when the button is activated. So maybe it would be possible to assign a midi button to 'select next step' to the PRESET FADER control?

Many thanks, Gary
GPC

Re: Midi to control stepping through steps in a scene

Postby Luc Henrion » 11 May 2018, 16:23

Wouldn't it be more simple to assign a "next" MIDI command for several scenes? Up to you to "split" your steps in scenes...
Luc Henrion

Postby GPC » 12 May 2018, 09:20

Luc Henrion wrote:Wouldn't it be more simple to assign a "next" MIDI command for several scenes? Up to you to "split" your steps in scenes...

I don't think ShowXpress supports "next" MIDI commands. If it does, I don't know how?
GPC

Postby support » 12 May 2018, 18:38

@GPC
Next major software version V9 should fix your requirement.
Please be patient.
We do as fast as possible.
The Lighting Controller
support
Administrateur

Postby GPC » 12 May 2018, 21:28

Thank you - I didn't know it was being worked on. Looking forwards to it! :)
GPC

Postby support » 04 September 2018, 07:46

We forgot to tell in this topic that it is now available in V9 beta (https://thelightingcontroller.com/viewt ... f=2&t=5690).
The Lighting Controller
support
Administrateur

Re: Midi to control stepping through steps in a scene [fixed

Postby GPC » 04 September 2018, 14:11

I cannot find the option. Where is it located in the software?
GPC

Postby samwise309 » 04 September 2018, 17:05

The new "Beat" function in live is the answer to stepping manually through steps of a scene.

I have been requesting this function be applicable to individual scenes, like you were saying, where you can press one midi button to cycle through steps of that specific scene. In the case of V9, it's a 'one size fits all' approach.

The best way I can explain is through example for what I believe we're both looking for. Please check this video exactly at 8:10 for what I mean. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRlJN1LALFk

The smaller window shows Luke hitting the same button multiple times for stacks (in our case, would be steps of one scene) of positions. He uses one button to cycle through some steps, and moves on to another button to do the same thing. That's the kind of functionality I think we're looking for with stepping through scenes on a per button basis.
samwise309

Postby GPC » 04 September 2018, 18:25

Yes I see what you mean but it's going to have a few problems;
1. If you're using an external os2l to track the beat (such as VDJ) you'll no longer have manual control of the changes.
2. You can only allocate one midi button for the beat - so if you have 2 (or more) scenes triggered by the beat they will both (all) change on every tap.
3. Would require 2 buttons - one to turn on the scene and one for the beat trigger.

I was hoping to have more direct control: One midi button to select the scene and multiple presses of the same midi button to step through the steps of that scene.

On a side note, the new link to VDJ is great. I have been talking to the VDJ dev team to implement an option to send the beat trigger either via the beat grid (as is currently the case) or triggered on an actual beat - so any sections of music with no beat the lights will not step.
GPC

Postby samwise309 » 07 September 2018, 02:15

GPC wrote:
I was hoping to have more direct control: One midi button to select the scene and multiple presses of the same midi button to step through the steps of that scene.

Exactly. This is probably the most clear way to say what I was thinking. This would do wonders for my showfile(s)
samwise309

Next

Return to Midi