Remove button toggle

create pages with buttons to trigger scenes

Remove button toggle

Postby thargy » 11 March 2018, 10:01

Maybe I'm missing something, but is there a way to stop Live Buttons from toggling?

I have a set of scenes on a Solo buttons page. This means there is only one button on at a time. I also have a specific black out button. However, if you accidentally hit the currently set button you then get a black out as no buttons are pressed (the existing button toggles off). This isn't great, but has been tolerable because we just try to be careful when manually setting scene transitions, but it would be nicer to be able to remove button toggling (so once pressed it stays pressed) - particularly as we have a 'Black Out' button for when we want no scene set anyway (and it resets motorised lights to their down positions).

A more serious issue is now I've moved to setting MIDI triggers so that I can trigger scenes automatically from our slide presenter. The idea was that changing the current slide would set the correct scene.

Unfortunately, if two slides are programmed to use the same scene and run consecutively then the first slide will set the scene, and the second will toggle it off. If I could prevent button toggling then the second MIDI signal would always latch on, if that makes sense?

This came up because I created a pre-service loop with the first slide setting the pre-service scene via MIDI. This worked great, on starting the slideshow, the lights are set, however each alternate loop the lights black out and then come back on on the next loop (due to the scene button toggling). I can't find any way to have a MIDI trigger force on or force off, it seems to only allow toggle. If Toggle could be disabled on a button, then the triggers could respect that behaviour.

There is no real way for me to prevent the same signal being sent consecutively (the slide software assumes that there is a different signal for OFF/ON and doesn't assume a toggle behaviour). As such, I can't find a reliable and safe way to use MIDI triggers, which is a real shame, as there is no way of the triggering software knowing the current state so it can't gaurantee that a signal will have the desired effect.
thargy

Re: Remove button toggle

Postby Stilli » 11 March 2018, 12:03

thargy wrote:Maybe I'm missing something, but is there a way to stop Live Buttons from toggling?

I have a set of scenes on a Solo buttons page. This means there is only one button on at a time. I also have a specific black out button. However, if you accidentally hit the currently set button you then get a black out as no buttons are pressed (the existing button toggles off). This isn't great, but has been tolerable because we just try to be careful when manually setting scene transitions, but it would be nicer to be able to remove button toggling (so once pressed it stays pressed) - particularly as we have a 'Black Out' button for when we want no scene set anyway (and it resets motorised lights to their down positions).

If the button stayed in the 'ON' state after being pressed, how would you turn it 'OFF' ? This is clearly not practical, do you often hit a button by mistake?

thargy wrote:A more serious issue is now I've moved to setting MIDI triggers so that I can trigger scenes automatically from our slide presenter. The idea was that changing the current slide would set the correct scene.

Unfortunately, if two slides are programmed to use the same scene and run consecutively then the first slide will set the scene, and the second will toggle it off. If I could prevent button toggling then the second MIDI signal would always latch on, if that makes sense?

This came up because I created a pre-service loop with the first slide setting the pre-service scene via MIDI. This worked great, on starting the slideshow, the lights are set, however each alternate loop the lights black out and then come back on on the next loop (due to the scene button toggling). I can't find any way to have a MIDI trigger force on or force off, it seems to only allow toggle. If Toggle could be disabled on a button, then the triggers could respect that behaviour.

There is no real way for me to prevent the same signal being sent consecutively (the slide software assumes that there is a different signal for OFF/ON and doesn't assume a toggle behaviour). As such, I can't find a reliable and safe way to use MIDI triggers, which is a real shame, as there is no way of the triggering software knowing the current state so it can't gaurantee that a signal will have the desired effect.

Why would you want to switch something 'On' that is already 'On' ? The fault is clearly with the Slide Software or your programming of it and not the lighting controller. Can you not leave out the 'On' state from the second slide transition as it is already 'On' and only include that when you want it 'Off' or maybe I don't understand your problem. (it is Sunday and I had a late gig last night so brain not at full functionality yet, or maybe it just toggled 'Off')
Stilli

Postby thargy » 16 December 2018, 13:08

Stilli wrote:If the button stayed in the 'ON' state after being pressed, how would you turn it 'OFF' ? This is clearly not practical, do you often hit a button by mistake?

I have a set of exclusive macros, I always want at least one selected, as I have many moving lights, etc. then I have an 'Off' Macro which correctly switches all lights off and moves heads to a 'down' position (which often is not be 0,0). To turn a macro 'off' I just select the 'Off' macro. The last thing I want is no macro selected as that is often mostly a blackout, in this setup toggle is therefore a pain as sometimes (when using the mobile control and fat fingers) I toggle a macro off and black out accidentally.

Stilli wrote:Why would you want to switch something 'On' that is already 'On' ? The fault is clearly with the Slide Software or your programming of it and not the lighting controller. Can you not leave out the 'On' state from the second slide transition as it is already 'On' and only include that when you want it 'Off' or maybe I don't understand your problem. (it is Sunday and I had a late gig last night so brain not at full functionality yet, or maybe it just toggled 'Off')

The software will send a MIDI signal whenever a slide is run. At the start of services I have slide loops, and want the lights using the 'Pre-Service' Macro I have set up (dim lights, etc.). At the start of each loop it runs the first slide again, which send the program change for 'Pre-Service' and so toggles it. It doesn't give track of what signal was sent last, or anything complex.

Put simply I'd like a way to have a MIDI signal not toggle but ensure a macro is selected. Ideally, I'd just like a way to make a button non-toggle, and have the MIDI signal respect that too. I've tried the new MIDI control types (Monostable, etc.) but this still doesn't seem possible. For now I have to continue manually controlling scenes, whereas I'd like to be able to set up scenes once for each song and not have to fear them toggling a scene to blackout.
thargy

Postby marco » 16 December 2018, 15:56

A way around would be to add an new page with all the scene double, if you add scene1,you get button’scene1’ and scene 1 you get button ‘scene1#2’
This way you can use the same scene multiple times

Dont use midi so i dont know how this works, but maybe you can use flash buttons, this will only work if midi can hold the button down, and when the midi note goes away the scene stops playing
marco

Return to Live - Buttons