Showing a generic with colour in 3D view [fixed]

declare your lighting equipment

Showing a generic with colour in 3D view [fixed]

Postby Robin_D » 19 January 2018, 17:28

I'm programming for a show and will have a mixed rig of RGB LED's and generic's running from dimmer's with gel's. It would be most helpful to show the beams for the latter in 3D view with an approximation of the beam colour. It doesn't have to be precise, but if I change it using Fixtures Setting > Color in 3D view it appears to change the head colour but not the resultant beam ... unless I'm missing something which is quite likely! It's logical in one way as the 'color' option always seems to change the colour of the casing, but its the beam positions and colour one really needs to see.

Thanks in anticipation ..... Robin
Robin_D

Re: Showing a generic with colour in 2D and 3D view

Postby support » 19 January 2018, 19:25

Please post a link of the manual of this fixture here: https://thelightingcontroller.com/viewforum.php?f=25
and we will do the personality file for you.
FYI: https://thelightingcontroller.com/viewt ... f=3&t=2453
The Lighting Controller
support
Administrateur

Postby Robin_D » 20 January 2018, 21:08

That's kind of you but not particularly helpful as I ave about 20 different generic fixtures I'll be using and 'm still building the list. I also have potential power issues so as yet do not know what I'll be putting where.

My ideal solution would be to be able to select generic profile spot, fresnel or parcan and set the beam colour and beam angle in Fixture Settings, but appreciate that's clearly not in the software at the moment.

In it's absence would it be possible to set up generic fixtures of each of the three types with each of the following colours please? It's not really that important to have the colour exact in 3D, and it's certainly not important to show if its a Selecon, ETC, Strand or any other brand or type of profile spot.

The colours it would be most useful to have are:
Open White
Straw
Light Pink
Red
Green
Blue
Magenta
Cyan
Yellow

This at least would give the beam colour close enough to assist in platting in the 3D window.

I don't think anyone would suggest setting up hundreds of different make and model generic fixtures with 256 colours or more each!

Best wishes .... Robin
Robin_D

Postby SeekLighting » 21 January 2018, 06:25

Hi Robin,

In the "Add Fixtures" Window under the "parcan" category there are a bunch of pre-made, single channel fixtures that represent conventional lighting fixtures with gels. They are available in the following colours:

Blue
Cyan
Green
Orange
Pink
Red
Yellow

And under the category "generic" you can also get a fixture called "parcan_old" which has a kind of warm white, similar to a tungsten bulb.

Hopefully that will get you started.

Regards,

Tim H
SeekLighting

Postby Robin_D » 21 January 2018, 11:31

Thanks Tim. :D
Robin_D

Postby support » 22 January 2018, 11:04

Yes.
And with "parcan old", it is possible to select the beam color with the button "Beam color".
The Lighting Controller
support
Administrateur

Postby Robin_D » 23 January 2018, 10:30

That's brilliant. To assist anyone else reading this if you double click the parcan-old fixture under 'Editor > Fixtures' you get into 'edit fixture'. Not only does that allow you to set the colour, you can set beam angle and intensity as well and then export it. Unfortunately, if you save it, it changes all of that fixture type rather than just the one you clicked on which is a bit of a nuisance, but its then easy to create your own sources with correct beam angle and colours in 3D view.

Thanks guys.
Robin_D

Re: Showing a generic with colour in 3D view [fixed]

Postby SeekLighting » 23 January 2018, 10:51

Yes, you can of course create your own one channel fixture with the fixture profile of a single dimmer channel, then set the beam angle, power and colour to whatever you want :). I do this often to create profiles, fresnels, par/ray cans, etc.
SeekLighting

Return to Editor - Fixtures