Idea for Generator

create scenes with shape generator

Idea for Generator

Postby autogedrocht » 11 January 2018, 21:28

Hi Sweetlight,

I have an idea for the Generator.

Sometimes I use the Generator to make a quick colorchange, or i use the Generator to create words in a matrix (26 characters in 1 dmx channel).
The problem i have is that there is no grid in the Generator, so its hard to see if the intervals have the same time in between.

Would it be an idea to have a line/grid so you can place the point spot on? Preferably with an option "stick to grid" where a new point automatically sticks to the nearest line/grid.
There also should be an option where you can fill in how many lines/grid u want in the generator.
Also it would be nice to have a zoom function, so you van be more accurate in selecting the value. With some fixtures I have a lot of different values to choose.

To make it more clear, i made a photoshop screenshot.

I hope you like it!

Regards

Edit:
Oh, i wasnt the first one with this idea:

https://thelightingcontroller.com/viewt ... =70&t=4227
Last edited by autogedrocht on 11 January 2018, 23:12, edited 1 time in total.
autogedrocht

Re: Idea for Generator

Postby SeekLighting » 11 January 2018, 22:54

I think the idea of having some reference lines in generator when working with linear values like this is good, except I think the ruler lines should be measuring in seconds.

Obviously also this grid wouldn't apply to Pan/Tilt and RGB/CMY
SeekLighting

Postby autogedrocht » 11 January 2018, 23:03

Maybe i prefer beats in stead of seconds, because seconds is also depending how u trigger it in Live?

Yes, true, this wont work to Pan/Tilt, i WOULD work on RGB i think.
With Pan/Tilt maybe a real grid would come in handy, so with a horizontal and a vertical line.
autogedrocht

Postby SeekLighting » 12 January 2018, 04:48

It wouldn't work to have grid lines over the grouped RGB/CMY colour wheel, but could certainly be an option with the individual colour channels.

Beats would require a much greater integration of the BPM function from Live with Generator, which I believe are currently two completely separate functions. And in all honesty, the more professional lighting software (such as Hog, GrandMA, etc.) lean more towards minutes and seconds rather than bars and beats for this sort of function so to me, it makes more sense to go that way.
SeekLighting

Postby autogedrocht » 12 January 2018, 19:52

You're right, only the individual channels.

Seconds are also fine with me, I even would be happy with some static grid lines. Since the Sweetlight team has no priority on this (https://thelightingcontroller.com/viewt ... =70&t=4227), anything would work for me at the moment. Sure, the bigger the better, but I cant use the Generator to the max now, which is ashame.
autogedrocht

Postby seantosz » 01 October 2018, 14:40

I second this idea. A bpm time grid would be much more beneficial to creating a musical lighting performance in the generator.
seantosz

Return to Editor - Generator