sometimes remote interface stop working

usb to dmx - internal calendar - remote controller sensor (2009 - 2019)

sometimes remote interface stop working

Postby bedo1976 » 25 June 2017, 07:17

Hello

I have the following situation:
Laptop HP with OS Windows XP
Sweetlight Version 8.2.18 - 170313
Remote Interface (version 1.04)
Driver Version 1.06.0527.0 released by WinDDK

If I start Laptop and sweetlight software DMX works correct. About 1 time an evening Remote Interface stop send out DMX signal. I could see DMX inactive status on DMX devices.

Then I close sweetlight software, wait about 10 seconds and start it again. Then I get the error message "there is an incopatible interface, please remove it.

Now I close sweetlight software. Then U unplug usb cable from laptop to sweetlight remote interface. I wait 10 seconds. I plug in usb cable. Then I start sweetlight and it wors fine again.

I think, that the remote inferface has in this situation an software error and needs power reset. Do you know this behavior? I recognized this situation since about 2 month, when I update to the latest sweetlight software. Exists a possibility to activate debug logs on the driver?
bedo1976

Re: sometimes remote interface stop working

Postby support » 25 June 2017, 15:06

This looks like a bad contact in the printed circuit board of the pcb.
Please send your interface back to your retailer for maintenance service.
The Lighting Controller
support
Administrateur

Postby support » 02 July 2017, 17:36

In order to be 100% sure that the problem does not come from the dmx line (like "ground loop" for instance), we suggest you to run the interface with only one dmx fixture connected to its dmx output (this means only one dmx line from interface to dmx fixture ; and all the other dmx fixtures must be switched off).
The Lighting Controller
support
Administrateur

Postby bedo1976 » 10 September 2017, 11:45

support wrote:In order to be 100% sure that the problem does not come from the dmx line (like "ground loop" for instance), we suggest you to run the interface with only one dmx fixture connected to its dmx output (this means only one dmx line from interface to dmx fixture ; and all the other dmx fixtures must be switched off).

Hi. I bought a new D512 interface with the serial number 04313200017080202 and used this 3 times. The last time I had a small event with 2xClay Paky Stage light 300, 1xBotex Strobo and 4 Stairvile (thomann) LED par and about only 15m DMX cable. The first day/night everything worked correct. On the second day without any changes of the light equipment after 2,5 hours using sweet light I had the same problem, that the interface didn´t work. So I closed sweetlight software and startet it again and I get the fault message, that the interface is wrong.

So I closed sweetlight software, unpluged and pluged in the Sweetlight interface D512 and it worked correct again. In my oppinion the interface hang up and need to power off and on again.

It is very difficult for me to reproduce the fault. So it is nearly impossible, to connect the interface only to one device and test, if this work correct or not.

In my oppinion the DMX interface should only sent out DMX signal. The USB port is bidirectional. So if the interface hangs up it comes from USB signals. If I use other DMX Controller like Pulsar Masterpiece, I never had such problems, that DMX port hangs up.

Exists a possibility to log the communication via USB Port? Esists a diagnistic tool from sweetlight, that I can start in the situation, the D512 Interface has hang up?
bedo1976

Postby support » 10 September 2017, 17:44

it is nearly impossible, to connect the interface only to one device and test, if this work correct or not

You can also do the test without any dmx fixture.
You just run the software.
If the "PC link" LED stops blinking, then we will be sure this is not a ground loop problem.

There could not be any log because the interface hangs, so it simply does not usb answer.

The second usual problem (after ground loop problem), is the usb power.
https://thelightingcontroller.com/viewt ... =15&t=1155
Could you please try with a self power usb hub ?

In the meantime, please post your lightshow, and tell us your computer configuration.
We will reproduce same setup here and check, in case of this is a software bug.
The Lighting Controller
support
Administrateur

Postby bedo1976 » 12 September 2017, 15:36

support wrote:
it is nearly impossible, to connect the interface only to one device and test, if this work correct or not

You can also do the test without any dmx fixture.

There could not be any log because the interface hangs, so it simply does not usb answer.

The second usual problem (after ground loop problem), is the usb power.

In the meantime, please post your lightshow, and tell us your computer configuration.
We will reproduce same setup here and check, in case of this is a software bug.

Hi
Thanks for your response.

1) I understand and I start the sweet light software with D512 and without fixtures running some hours

2) In my oppinion in the case the fault exists, there is still a communication between sweetlight software and D512, because I get the message, that a wrong interface is connected. If there wouldn´t be a communication (interface is plugged off) I´ll get NO FAULT message. Perpahs it could be an improvement to implement a watchdog within D512 interface.

3) Do you think ground loop with only 15m DMX calbe can effect this fault? Do you have some further information according this? If there is a fixture for example LED Par where ground is connected to DMX ground, how can I solve this? Could it be an improfement, that on the side of D512 the ground will be lifted?

4) I´ll test with USB hub with external power. Probably an improvement according D512 could also be a watchdog funktionality, which restarts CPU in case of sporadic Power Issue.

5) Please see the attachment for the show. The Laptop is HP 6830s with windows XP, 2GB RAM (0,7GB RAM is used), 2 CPU (CPU usage is 4 to 20%). Performance is quiete good.

6) The situation on saturday 9.9.2017 was:
- sweetlight software was running. There was no change on the show
- DMX signal stopped. So the lights go off
- blue power LED on Interface was on
- green PC link LED was off
- shutdown and start of sweetlight software shows Error, wrong interface
- shutdown of sweetlight & plug off DMX Interface, plut in DMX interface and start sweetlight again and it worked correct for the next hours.
bedo1976

Postby bedo1976 » 12 September 2017, 15:38

Attachment Show
bedo1976

Postby support » 17 September 2017, 21:45

We did not find any problem with this lightshow.

That would help if you could try with another computer.
https://thelightingcontroller.com/viewt ... =15&t=5262
The Lighting Controller
support
Administrateur

Postby RikJohnson » 23 September 2018, 09:32

I'm getting exactly the same problem a year on from this post. I'm glad I read this. Returning mine for a refund. Nobody wants a flaky interface that randomly goes down. Such a pity, it was so close to 'good' and then the hardware let it down :-(
RikJohnson

Return to Remote