Choppy Fades?

usb to dmx (2003 - 2010)

Choppy Fades?

Postby shazammagic » 12 February 2017, 01:16

When I have a scene which fades my dimmer pack up or down, it appears choppy (i.e., the fade isn't smooth, but appears staggered in obvious steps). Any idea if this is a hardware or software issue?

Running the latest version of the software, on a laptop (Intel Atom 1.66GHz cpu with 2GB DDR3 memory), connected to Box interface, which is connected to a standard four-channel dimmer pack.

Thanks for your help!
shazammagic

Re: Choppy Fades?

Postby BartKrap » 12 February 2017, 02:38

Yeah, I've seen something like this on the club's lights as well.

It's only visible in ceratain scenes and/or steps but very noticable.
Head of lighting, lighting designer and lighting operater at De Zoom and Pinky's in Renesse and Ron van der Veen Entertainment.
BartKrap

Postby support » 13 February 2017, 11:35

Might come from the interface Box (it is a bit old now).
Should be better with a more recent interface (like D512 for instance).
The Lighting Controller
support
Administrateur

Postby BartKrap » 14 February 2017, 08:07

support wrote:Might come from the interface Box (it is a bit old now).
Should be better with a more recent interface (like D512 for instance).

Nope, we have a D512 and it gives the same problem.
Head of lighting, lighting designer and lighting operater at De Zoom and Pinky's in Renesse and Ron van der Veen Entertainment.
BartKrap

Postby support » 14 February 2017, 11:23

Should be better with D512, anyway.
The Lighting Controller
support
Administrateur

Postby shazammagic » 14 February 2017, 20:58

Thanks Support! I did some testing with my Cable interface, and that worked like a charm. I assume the newer interfaces would behave similarly, and I guess my Box unit is showing it's age.

(Sorry you're still having the problem, BartKrap. Is your system completely wired, or do you have any wireless elements in place? I definitely notice a similar choppiness when I'm running the DMX signal wirelessly, but that's the trade-off for not having to run cables.)
shazammagic

Postby BartKrap » 18 February 2017, 14:04

shazammagic wrote:Thanks Support! I did some testing with my Cable interface, and that worked like a charm. I assume the newer interfaces would behave similarly, and I guess my Box unit is showing it's age.

(Sorry you're still having the problem, BartKrap. Is your system completely wired, or do you have any wireless elements in place? I definitely notice a similar choppiness when I'm running the DMX signal wirelessly, but that's the trade-off for not having to run cables.)

Everything is wired, and it's not a problem since I'm the only one who seems to notice this in the club enviroment.

As long as the guests don't mind, I'm fine.
BartKrap

Return to Box