[El Capitan] - Showxpress Crashes after about 15 minutes

post here topics for Mac OS only

[El Capitan] - Showxpress Crashes after about 15 minutes

Postby skywatcher » 06 August 2016, 03:00

I just installed a new Xpress 512 using ShowXpress 8.1 on a new iMac - everything works great for about 15 minutes then ShowXpress crashes. This continues to happen. Anyone have this issue and is there a solution?
skywatcher

Re: iMac - Showxpress Crashes after about 15 minutes

Postby support » 06 August 2016, 15:27

The Lighting Controller
support
Administrateur

Postby skywatcher » 06 August 2016, 18:37

Problem fixed - I hope - ha - I'm running Mac OS X El Capitan - someone on YouTube gave me this advice and it worked - I've run ShowXpress for 4 hours straight with no crashes - it used to crash frequently - here's the fix........ Open Applications folder, open the ShowXpress folder, right click on red TheLightingController icon, then click "Get Info", then check the box "Prevent App Nap" - that's it - worked for me so far - I will repost if things change
skywatcher

Postby skywatcher » 09 August 2016, 13:38

One more thing - you need to also remove App Nap from 3DView as well. Open Applications folder, open the ShowXpress folder, right click on 3DView icon, then click "Get Info", then check the box "Prevent App Nap". Before, when I just removed App Nap from TheLightingController and not the 3DView, it worked fine for 4 hours but then crashed. When I removed App Nap from both, I left the software open overnight with no crash.
skywatcher

Postby skywatcher » 17 August 2016, 15:42

One more thing again.....hopefully this is the final fix..... if you're using iMac El Capitan, instead of using the latest ShowXpress 8.1, download the previous version, ShowXpress 7.1.80. Then as I mentioned above, in the Applications folder, check the box to "Prevent App Nap" in both the 3DView and TheLightingController icons. After doing these things, TheLightingController software has not crashed, after leaving it on for 5 days straight without shutting the iMac down. Yay!!!
skywatcher

Postby Niffo » 17 August 2016, 16:26

"App Nap" should not be a problem since 2 years (Software v7.1.5), so we assume you have a problem with V8 that you do not have with V7.

Can you please send us your V8 Lightshow and explain how to reproduce the "crash" you are talking about :
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=168
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=19

Please can you answer the following questions :
- What happened when the software "crashed" ? (Freeze ? Error message from the OS ? If yes, what message ?)
- What is the Mac OS version used ? (El Capitan if we right understood)
- What where you doing on the software when it "crashed", or at least what was the software doing when it happened ?
- How did you solve the problem ? (Restart the software ? Restart the interface ? Restart the computer ? ...)

Kind regards.
Niffo
Administrateur

Postby skywatcher » 30 August 2016, 01:37

to answer your questions...I was running 8.0 with a simple lightshow using 12 lights

- What happened when the software "crashed" ? (Freeze ? Error message from the OS ? If yes, what message ?)
Answer: It was the typical Mac crash - the software closed (the lights went off) and the typical OS message came up (software closed unexpectedly)
- What is the Mac OS version used ? (El Capitan if we right understood)
Answer: El Capitan
- What where you doing on the software when it "crashed", or at least what was the software doing when it happened ?
Answer: We were doing nothing - lights were on, the software was open, and untouched for at least 15 minutes
- How did you solve the problem ? (Restart the software ? Restart the interface ? Restart the computer ? ...)
Answer: Re-launched the software and everything worked fine - until the next crash

Of course the permanent answer was to download the previous version, 7.1, and turn off app nap just to be safe - no crashes after that
skywatcher

Postby support » 30 August 2016, 07:01

Please update the software with the latest version (8.1.15 + Fix file 8.1.20) and let us know if you still have problems :
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4528
The Lighting Controller
support
Administrateur

Postby skywatcher » 30 August 2016, 11:53

thanks - will do and let you know
skywatcher

Postby skywatcher » 01 September 2016, 14:25

updated with the latest version (8.1.15 + Fix file 8.1.20) - crashed after leaving the software open overnight - came back in the morning - and on the iMac, the typical software crash warning was on the screen (quit unexpectedly) - the power to the lights were off - the scene was a simple 12 light scene - so back to 7.1
skywatcher

Next

Return to Mac OS