Art-Net -- has anyone gotten it to work?

control Artnet fixtures

Re: Art-Net -- has anyone gotten it to work?

Postby Merril » 03 May 2015, 05:03

beanerbeta wrote:Could you please give details about how you got the edmx1 to work with chauvet showxpress. I was looking for a cheaper alternative to all of this expensive stuff so i figured I
would give the edmx1 a shot.

Now Im pulling my hair out :oops:

I have had an eDMX1 (artnet to DMX translator) for quite a while and it works fine with other software. I have purchased a lot of Chauvet fixtures over the years too, and thought this software might be just want I need to fully automate the lighting (via ethernet or wireless networking). Although I have not seen it clearly indicated in the manual, it appears you can't do anything with this software unless you attach a Chauvet dongle or DMX device via USB. Is that true? I figured for all the money I spent on fixtures, I would not have to buy another one that provides no function. Artnet devices are supposed to be network attached, not computer attached. Mine has a static IP and is easily discovered by other software. Is there any way to use it without ShowXpress without a Chauvet DMX dongle/device attached via USB?
Merril

Postby Merril » 03 May 2015, 05:26

Niffo wrote:An ArtNet universe is only usable if a physical interface (except "Cable" interface) with the same # universe is connected on a USB port.

I can ping my eDMX1.
I have a static IP for the eDMX1 entered for my fixtures.
All DMX settings match between the fixtures and the software.
Apparently ShowXpress won't connect with my artnet device (the eDMX1), because nothing works

But, I don't have anything attached via the USB port. What exactly has to be attached via the USB port? Does it have to be one of the Chauvet Xpress boxes? Will there ever be a way to connect to an artnet device via an IP address without requiring one of those boxes? I don't need the box for DMX translation because the eDMX1 does that for me, so all I need is a key to unlock the software feature. Is there some way to get that downloaded in a place where ShowXpress will find it, or could I just put it on a thumb drive?

My computer is rack mounted (Mac Mini), along with other networked devices (midi router, for example). I don't want to buy another rackmount for an Xpress box if I only need it to unlock the ShowXpress software, I'd rather have something much smaller - even just a software key/license, like other applications use. Is that possible?
Merril

Postby Lighter007 » 03 May 2015, 07:17

Actually you have to plug in any interface except 'cable'. Chauvet Xpress512 or Showtec D512 doesn't matter, for example.
But you're right. It would be better and easier just to enter the s/n written on the interface in the software or connect the interface one time.
Greetings from Germany! :)
Lighter007

Postby Merril » 05 May 2015, 16:38

Lighter007 wrote:Actually you have to plug in any interface except 'cable'. Chauvet Xpress512 or Showtec D512 doesn't matter, for example.
But you're right. It would be better and easier just to enter the s/n written on the interface in the software or connect the interface one time.

I'm sorry, I don't understand what 'cable' means. Can you define it? Is 'cable' just a USB cable pugged into the computer with nothing plugged into the other side? Or does 'cable' refer to a type of DMX interface - a cable-style dongle, like the Xpress 100?

Also, can the interface be a dmx interface from another manufacturer like DMX King or Enttec, or does it have to be from Chauvet?

I don't have a Chauvet DMX interface, but I have a lot of Chauvet fixtures. I found the ShowXpress software for free on their site and thought it was offered for customers of their fixtures. But I can't get it to work with my DMXking artnet interface, and am trying to figure out if I need to buy a Chauvet USB interface to get it to work, or if I can use a USB interface from another manufacturer.
Merril

Re: Art-Net with the Net-X interface

Postby Merril » 05 May 2015, 17:08

Will the software work with the Net-x interface for multiple universes? Can you do it over artnet without a USB interface connection? Would any USB connection be required, like a separate interface, to activate artnet? I would like to make the software work without a USB interface connection, and am willing to buy the Net-X, if it will do that for me. The reason is that installing cat5 cable or a wireless router, is easier and cheaper than running several DMX cables over a long distance between the computer and the fixture location(s).

If multiple universes are possible, will both regular scenes/sequences and pixels support multiple universes?
Merril

Postby support » 06 May 2015, 07:18

Regarding the interfaces: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=5
Regarding Artnet: viewtopic.php?f=75&t=3741
The Lighting Controller
support
Administrateur

Postby Allan » 06 August 2015, 21:05

Merril,

Follow these steps:

1) Plug an RJ45 cable from your computer to the first ArtNet fixture.

2) Right-click Network icon [bottom right tray] and go to “Open Network and Sharing Center”

3) In the middle right portion of the window, click “Local Area Connection” which pops up a “Local Area Connection Status” window. Click on “Properties” at the bottom.

4) Double-click “TCP/IPv4” and input the following information:
a. IP Address: 2.0.0.1
b. Subnet mask: 255.0.0.0
c. Default gateway: leave blank

5) Click OK or Close multiple times to accept the numbers above and to return to the desktop. Your computer is now setup to output data in the 2.x.x.x out of the RJ45 port.

6) Now, you need to tell each fixture to receive ArtNet, so follow the instructions for whatever make/model you have. Make sure to set the fixture’s address and personality as well.

7) Make sure you have either an Xpress-512 or Xpress-512+ interface connected to the computer and then open ShowXpress. [The Xpress-100, X-Factor and rack mount interfaces will not work with ArtNet.]

8) Go to FILE > PREFERENCES > NETWORK and tick the ArtNet check box to enable it. Do not change any other information in this window. Close PREFERENCES.

9) Turn on the DMX by clicking the icon [indicator should be GREEN and not RED].

10) Move the faders and start programming.

If this doesn't work, please tell me where you got to and your SX version number so I can assist further.
Allan Reiss
Senior Product Manager
CHAUVET DJ
Allan

Previous

Return to Artnet