Works on my laptop, not my desktop ...

usb to dmx - 512 dmx channels

Works on my laptop, not my desktop ...

Postby MikolFr » 18 July 2023, 21:07

Hello dear,

I bought today the D512S interface with Sweet Light but I'm facing very strange behavior on my desktop PC. Interface is well recognized by SweetLight (see screenshots link at end) but when I move faders in Steps view (DMX enabled of course) it doesn"t work, my fixture does not move. The D512S USB light blinks (continous blink) and when I move faders, the led blinks faster. I tried on all my USB ports (with or without HUB), disconnected all other USB devices, I tried driver reinstall but same result.

On my laptop, no issue with same DMX cable, same fixture, same interface (of course) and same USB cable. It worked immediately, everything is ok.

On my desktop, the more strange is that suddenly, when SweetLight is not executed, my fixture made some moves, blinks, such as an old message from past suddenly sent ! And if I start SweetLight, it doesn't stop ...

It's very strange and I don't know where I should have a look.

Thanks
MikolFr

Re: Works on my laptop, not my desktop ...

Postby support » 19 July 2023, 10:05

In Steps view ... The D512S USB light blinks (continous blink) and when I move faders, the led blinks faster.

This is the normal behaviour. This means the data stream is correctly sent from the software to the DMX interface. No need to try another USB port. All seems to be ok from the software to the DMX interface.

Our conclusion would have been "DMX output or DMX line problem", without reading that same equipment works fine with your laptop computer.

Right now, we do not understand where could be the problem. Sorry for that.

You can try with a powered USB hub. We do not really think this will fix the problem, but this is an easy and cheap test.

We keep thinking about this problem, and we will come back to you if we have an idea.
The Lighting Controller
support
Administrateur

Postby MikolFr » 19 July 2023, 15:46

Thanks for your feedback. I will try to use a powered HUB (but as you said, not sure that it could help, I already tried on PC USB ports without HUB) and I finally think that it could be related to driver. Perhaps that it looks like it works (because USB led reacts as expected) but it's a false positive.

The more strange is that when I exit SweetLight, a few minutes after, D512S send commands to my fixture, not exactly what I tried to send and it send without any time logic, sometimes it blinks (dimmer channel) and move without any link to what I tried before.

I will try more tests and I will come back to you, hope that you will have some ideas. Many thanks.
MikolFr

Postby support » 20 July 2023, 10:19

BTW, please tell us more about your desktop PC.
(brand, model, processor, ...)
Just to check whether the components are new on market or not.
The Lighting Controller
support
Administrateur

Postby MikolFr » 20 July 2023, 16:42

Dear,

my desktop PC is based on an Asus Z490-P motheboard (Intel socket 1200 LGA) with an Intel Core i7-10700 2.9GHz, 32GB RAM DDR4. USB 3.1 Intel.
It's not the most up to date PC but BIOS is 2021.

I've just connected D512S back to my desktop and I made a test: just connect to my PC without running SweetLight, just connected to an USB port. So, USB led is not blinking. But after 5 minutes, my fixture began to move, blink, ... very strange !

Thanks
MikolFr

Postby MikolFr » 20 July 2023, 17:57

Wow, it's more strange that I thought ...

Today, I shutdown my desktop computer with D512S connected to it. My desktop was always powered, so, USB ports were always powered. And my fixture was doing same thing: random moves, flashes ! It's so strange.
MikolFr

Postby support » 21 July 2023, 09:26

Your PC spec are noted.

In order to be sure there is no standalone scene running in the D512S when there is no USB com, please do this:
- plus the D512S to the laptop PC
- run the software
- go in section "Standalone"
- click on "Erase data" and "Ok"

Then tell us whether the random moves happen again. with your desktop PC.
The Lighting Controller
support
Administrateur

Postby MikolFr » 21 July 2023, 10:06

I tried this because I had this idea but it's not related to standalone.
I tried to reinstall Intel chipset drivers, only connect a mouse and D512S ... always the same result: D512 looks like it works, led is blinking when running SweetLight, moving faders has no effect and sometimes the fixture move and light randomly.
I tried to connect the power cord to the same line as my desktop computer, same result.
I tried to install an empty virtual machine on my desktop but the same, D512S is recognized but same result.
I tried to move my laptop to the same room, just connect D512S to my laptop without moving fixture but with my laptop, everything works.
MikolFr

Postby MikolFr » 21 July 2023, 12:29

Update: I tried an Enttech Pro interface and it works without any issues. I think that I will send send back D512S. SweetLight was interesting but I cannot use it on my desktop. Thanks for your help.
MikolFr

Postby support » 21 July 2023, 16:08

It is a big frustration for us to stay with such unsolved problem, but we understand and respect your choice.
Please stay registered in our forum. If we see a similar problem and we find the reason, we will keep you informed in this thread.

Could you please by the way send us an email (https://thelightingcontroller.com/viewt ... p?f=3&t=19) with:
- a picture of the serial number of the interface
- the name of your retailer

Then we will arrange to get back your interface in our office and we will make deep tests with it.
The Lighting Controller
support
Administrateur

Next

Return to D512S