Show OS2L button status in Virtual DJ [fixed]

live control with Virtual DJ

Show OS2L button status in Virtual DJ [fixed]

Postby DJTJ » 17 January 2020, 06:19

Greetings,

It's really cool that we can use custom OS2L buttons, knobs, poi, and beats from Virtual DJ (VDJ) to control The Lighting Controller, many thanks!

It will be even more useful for custom OS2L buttons & knobs in VDJ to reflect corresponding states in The Lighting Controller.

I'm running The Lighting Controller 9.2.9 & Virtual DJ 2020 b5478 on Mac OS 10.15.2 Catalina.

I haven't been able to figure out how to get OS2L buttons & knobs in VDJ to reflect the button states and master fader values in The Lighting Controller.

Please help.
DJTJ

Re: Show OS2L button status in Virtual DJ

Postby support » 17 January 2020, 13:52

Yes, we would like to do that as well.
But, so far OSL2 does not allow that.
The Lighting Controller
support
Administrateur

Postby DJTJ » 18 January 2020, 03:21

Thanks for the quick reply! I found some additional information that may be helpful.

While I was trying to figure out how to get this to work, I read about a similar feature in this thread:
https://www.virtualdj.com/wiki/OS2L_SunliteSuite2.html

When I looked at the OS2L web page a second time (http://os2l.org) I read this:
"Optionally, on receiving a button or a command event, the DMX software can reply with a feedback event, in order to visually turn the button on or off on the audio software/hardware (useful for buttons that activate/deactivate a state, rather than being push-release).
(Note: this message is sent FROM the DMX software, TO the audio software, unlike all other messages that are sent from the audio software to the DMX software)."
DJTJ

Postby support » 21 January 2020, 08:16

Here is our "OS2L message" technical report.

Without the attribut "while pressed"
VDJ does not return the button state info.

With the attribute "while pressed"
VDJ returns the button state info for the "on/off" buttons, but not for the "flash" buttons.
VDJ needs a restart when we set a button in "flash" mode in our software.
The VDJ "POIs" are ignoring the "while pressed" mode.

Conclusion
We had to give up the "while pressed" mode which is so far the only solution to see the button's state in VDJ.
The Lighting Controller
support
Administrateur

Postby DJTJ » 21 January 2020, 22:54

Thanks for the additional info.

I'm thinking of a different approach to this feature where The Lighting Controller 'owns' the button state, and after The Lighting Controller changes a button state, it ‘tells’ VDJ that state using the OS2L feedback protocol.

I did some additional research on this that may be helpful:

http://os2l.org has links to an example implementation for dmx software.

After studying the file: http://os2l.org/OS2L.cpp,

it seems like a routine similar to: sendFeedback(name, page, onOrOff) could be added to ‘The Lighting Controller’.

The idea is that when ‘The Lighting Controller’ get’s an OS2L button command and it turns on or off a ‘The Lighting Controller’ button, that it also sends feedback to the DJ software, which should allow the DJ software to visually display the button as on or off.

For example:

Within VDJ, A user adds a push action to a custom button such as:
os2l_button ‘DJ Buttons’ ‘Blue’

Within VDJ, the user pushes and releases the VDJ custom button described above.

The Lighting Controller receives the OS2L button command, so it toggles the button labeled ‘Blue’ on the page ‘DJ Buttons’ on or off.

Next, ’The Lighting Controller’ would do something similar to:

sendFeedback(“Blue”, page, “on”) -or- sendFeedback(“Blue”, page, “off’) depending on the state of the ‘Blue’ button.

Virtual DJ would then get an OS2L message similar to the following:
{“evt”:”feedback”,”Blue”:”DJ Buttons”,"state":"on"} or
{“evt”:”feedback”,”Blue”:”DJ Buttons”,"state":"off"}

Virtual DJ should then be able to visually indicate the button on/off status that is mapped to the custom button with action os2l_button ‘DJ Buttons’ ‘Blue’ . (The ‘page’ parameter seems like it may be optional.)

Unless I’m missing something, sending OS2L feedback from ‘The Lighting Controller’ seems like it would allow Virtual DJ to visually show the on/off status of custom OS2L button(s), and that would be a really great feature!

I love The Lighting Controller, my Xpress512 Plus with remote and being able to control my lights with VDJ. Many thanks!
DJTJ

Postby support » 22 January 2020, 09:02

For the reasons mentioned in our previous post, we were not able to do that feature.
Our conclusion is this is not possible (in our opinion) with the present versions of OS2L and VDJ.
This is beyond our control.
Sorry for that.

However, if you are able to produce a code able to do that (even with the VDJ POIs), it will be welcome.
The Lighting Controller
support
Administrateur

Postby djdad » 25 February 2020, 17:59

@support
This is how it works in VirtualDJ:
1) a custom button in VirtualDJ with action "os2l foobar" will always acts like "while_pressed" if no feedback is sent for foobar (meaning it will send "cmd foobar on" on press then "cmd foobar off" on release)
2) if VirtualDJ receives a os2l feedback command for foobar, then the button will start to act like a switch, and clicking it will send a cmd with the opposite value of the last feedback (so if we receive "feedback foobar on", then any click will send "cmd foobar off", and release will not send anything)

In case you need further details and help on implementing feedback, please PM me or email me directly.
djdad

Postby Niffo » 26 February 2020, 12:03

The problem is that we need to have the "release" information (for flash buttons) and, as you said, we no longer have this information as soon as we send a feedback to VDJ.
Niffo
Administrateur

Postby djdad » 26 February 2020, 16:11

By "Flash" buttons, you mean buttons that trigger a Scene only while the button is pressed and turn off the scene when button is released ?

if you want release and feedback together, then you need to manually specify it in the action in VirtualDJ (Pad editor of a DMX Pads page), by writing "os2l foobar while_pressed". This will send the opposite value of the last feedback on press, and the opposite of what was sent on press on release.
djdad

Postby Niffo » 26 February 2020, 17:21

Yes.
We already tried the "while_pressed" option and managed to get feedback to work (with some limitations) with VDJ pad buttons. The problem then was the POIs were no longer working in our software because they send messages like a non "while_pressed" pad button and there is no way for us to distinguish them.
Niffo
Administrateur

Next

Return to Virtual DJ