New Powerful Computers same issues with Midi

post here general topics for software

New Powerful Computers same issues with Midi

Postby razortongue1 » 25 October 2012, 06:23

In the past i have contacted you a few times due to latency issues with midi. Now that i know a little more what im talking about maybe you can help me.... I am having latency issues and flash button doesn't work properly with midi
At first i thought it was my midi to usb converter so i replaced that now using m audio 2x2
Then i thought my computer was having issues due to not enough ram and the hard drive spinning disk receiving interference from the speaker magnets so i replaced the HD to a SSHD and maxed out the ram but still having latency issues
If u want to see what im talking about click any flash button on showxpress live its right on time the split second you hit the button it triggers a flash of the light..... but when i trigger a button from an external midi device same issues a split second latency and or randomly triggering it doesn't trigger every time. I even tried different midi devices, and bypassing the pad and pressing button right on midi device...

Then i recently spent $3000 on a sick mac book pro maxed out with ram and sshs and still latency issues. I am realizing now, its not my either of my computers or the midi converter presenting the problem.
Try to trigger with a midi instrument using a flash button on a simple scene with solid lights. Each time i hit the midi note it should trigger the flash button and then play the first split second of the scene. That isnt whats happening. I made sure everything else is working properly. The midi converter is checked in midi settings and i can see the light on the midi converter lights up instantly whenever i send midi data so the latency isnt there. When using the flash button it will only trigger random hits, if u kept hitting a drum pad with midi notes, the scene should be triggered every time u hit that pad, not randomly or intermittently. I even double checked the midi end of things on my device to be sure it is sending and it is and all parameters are right as they should be.

The only way i can get midi to work with showxpress close to correctly with show is by using a 00.00.01 second scene and the button would have to be in non loop mode not flash mode. This will work but with spit second latency latency and still not for every hit but way better then the flash button that barely works at all. But technically it should work with a flash button too.... So i am wondering if the midi end of this program is working correctly at all. I have been using show xpress for over a year now, and have literally tried every option and plus some to get this to work.
currently using Version 6.31 on a PC with windows 7 ultimate
and my mac book pro with 16 gigs of ram, and SSHD that i spent over $3000 on is also using version 6.31 and i have the newest OS.

I can export my program and send it to you. What i am trying to do is quite simple. trigger a flash light from a midi electric pad, without latency, or randomly triggering the light. I know for a fact that my pad is not miss triggering i can hear it clear as day, maybe there is some way you can help me here. I have tried many things.

I will let you know if the SSHD solved the issue with the lighting program glitching when using light scenes in timeline with projection videos when the laptop was close to big speaker magnets. Hopefully that issue is solved. But i would really like the flash buttons to work, they seem to work fine when i press the buttons from the computer, just cant the flash button to play every hit when triggering from another midi device. it even happens using the button on the module and that is bypassing the pad. I tried another audio driver too and playing with the buffer helped a little but still not picking up every hit.

Many bands are now incorporating programmed or midi lighting into their live shows, i would think someone else would have caught this by now, but i think most people are using show xpress for theater or sound activated dj lighting they are triggering from their laptop or another Chauvet interface...
Thanks so much for all you have done to better this program i hope you can help me work out this final issue.
RazoR
razortongue1

Re: New Powerful Computers same issues with Midi

Postby support » 25 October 2012, 06:44

Many users use midi devices to trigger buttons in Live.
Since recent software version, users even use midi sliders/faders to move presets in Live.
And so far, we did not hear about latency due to midi, for a long time.

Can you tell us ?
- the size of the scene (are they big)
- is there no latency when you trigger the scene with a mouse click
The Lighting Controller
support
Administrateur

Postby razortongue1 » 25 October 2012, 13:47

Thanks so much for the quick response, you guys rule with your great support of this program.

The problem is not only split second latency.

To answer ya question, no latency when triggering scene with mouse click since i got my new computers, The real problem is the "FLASH" button option does not work correctly thru midi at all. If you can hook up a midi device set the midi number to match the button, make a scene with a solid color 00.01.00 this should be one step and the only step in the scene with lights at 100% Make sure button type is set to flash and now trigger the midi device from a pad or just press the button on the module do it a bunch of times quickly and you should see that it is not responsive and randomly triggering. I tried 2 different midi devices same problem i read every manual for both devices to be sure my midi devices were not sending program change messages or anything else to interfere with the program, tried a few different usb to midi converters tried new cables, i can see the midi converter seems to light up on time with no issues, and it triggers fine with a mouse click so maybe the problem is in the flash button option.

The way i got it to almost work is doing everything listed above but by using the no loop button instead of flash button, the only problem with doing it this way is there is the bit of latency in this method even with the mouse click that the flash buttons dont seem to produce with a mouse click. I am using the 6.31 of Showxpress

The scene i am using is small 00.01.00 seconds. The computers are monsters both of them.

Heres my computer specs tried it on PC and Mac same issues with both computers
Mac 2.5 ghz processor i7 16 gigs of ram with SSHD
PC is the same with a
also using midi sport 2x2 usb to midi converter made by m audio to receive midi data
and using the 512 box to output to lighting

Thanks so much for your help, I really appreciate it, i would love to finally solve this issue i have spent a ton of time trying every option.
razortongue1

Postby support » 26 October 2012, 07:30

If we right understood, we can summarize the problem by: "flash buttons response from midi is sometimes not accurate" (?)
Please note that there is a minimum delay required between "midi on" and "midi off" messages, otherwise the buttons stays off.

Is the flash button response ok when this delay is respected ?
The Lighting Controller
support
Administrateur

Postby razortongue1 » 26 October 2012, 07:36

No it is not working correctly. Yes I apologize for repeating myself, just wanted to make sure u fully understood the issue. Thanks again for looking into it.
razortongue1

Postby support » 26 October 2012, 13:40

If we respect a minimum delay between "midi on" and "midi off" messages, we do not see this problem. So not easy for us to fix a problem that we can not reproduce.
Many users use midi ; and certainly sometimes with flash button. We will wait to see if somebody else has this problem to.
The Lighting Controller
support
Administrateur

Postby dj spiff » 16 January 2015, 10:36

I have at least 60 knobs all mapped to 100 step scenes generated in pixels spread over 2 universes. I have had no problem activating them. I have also had all 60 active at the same time. This is version 6 I'm talking about. Very quick and responsive on APC40. Using windows vista pristine laptop core 2 duo, 4 gig ram. I do play with the mac version as well, but only when I want to combine it with some other software on the mac. It's best not to push it too hard.

I have been crashing the latest version of 7 with this though. It only occurs when I activate the 3D view and turn a whole bunch of stuff at the same time. I really have to try to break it. I can't break 6. It's a rock.
dj spiff

Return to General software