Connecting to Capture visualizer via ArtNet [done]

control Artnet fixtures

Connecting to Capture visualizer via ArtNet [done]

Postby Bruce » 15 December 2019, 13:56

I've been using the 3D viewer in ShowXpress for some time, and now I'd like to experiment with using Capture as a third-party visualizer. Since Capture supports Art-Net, I'm hoping that's possible. The Capture documentation suggests that the Capture software can run on the same computer, and respond to Art-Net messages from lighting controller software running on the same hardware. Sadly, thus far I've been unable to make it work with ShowXpress.

In theory, is it possible to connect third-party visualizer software to ShowXpress?
Bruce

Re: Connecting to Capture visualizer via ArtNet

Postby support » 15 December 2019, 17:19

Depending of your connected dmx interface, our software can output the Artnet universes via the Ethernet port of the computer.
But we do not know if this is possible to internaly link this Ethernet port to another software inside the computer.
The Lighting Controller
support
Administrateur

Postby Bruce » 16 December 2019, 07:30

Thanks for your reply, Support.

Today I set up the Capture visualizer on a second computer, hoping that would solve the problem. No.
I then played around with DMX-Workshop to see if it could detect Art-Net signals being sent from ShowXpress. Nothing.
At my wit's end, I stumbled across this statement:

"To enable Artnet control with our software, the software has to find one of these interfaces: dmx interfaces.
Then the Artnet signal is sent via the Ethernet port of the computer."

Oh! You mean I have to have the ShowExpress hardware plugged in? My whole purpose in connecting the Capture visualizer is to see my light show when I don't have access to the ShowExpress hardware (it's at my place of work).

Please excuse me while I go outside and headbutt a tree.
Bruce

Postby support » 16 December 2019, 08:13

Yes, Artnet needs the dmx interface.
Thank you for your feedback.
The Lighting Controller
support
Administrateur

Postby thorehl » 12 March 2020, 00:00

Bruce wrote:Oh! You mean I have to have the ShowExpress hardware plugged in? My whole purpose in connecting the Capture visualizer is to see my light show when I don't have access to the ShowExpress hardware (it's at my place of work).

Please excuse me while I go outside and headbutt a tree.

Well, if Art-Net was enabled in the software at any given time, anyone could just buy an DMX-AN or ENTEC device and get access to 6 universes of dmx for next to nothing.
Thore
lydlys.com - Freelance sound & light engeneer
Using HW: D1024 & D512
Controller: 2x Akai APC mini
my DIY light mixer
thorehl

Return to Artnet