Dongle Keys Instead Of I/O Boxes for Unlocking Artnet

control Artnet fixtures

Dongle Keys Instead Of I/O Boxes for Unlocking Artnet

Postby SWFL LD » 25 June 2019, 15:20

Hi,
80% of my permanent lighting installs are now Artnet exclusively from thier control positions and many of my clients are demanding LED pixel controlled displays or fixtures in their system plots which require multiple universes.

Utilizing Artnet from ShowXpress is proving to be expensive considering the investments in both I/O interfaces (to which the DMX ports remain unused) and the AN to DMX nodes.

Multiple I/O boxes use up multiple USB ports and can add clutter to FOH positions and sometimes become disconnected or "lock up" if power is interrupted unexpectedly which creates service calls.

Not to mention, lighting fixtures will soon include RJ45 IP ports (Artnet, sCAN, Klingnet) which will render the DMX I/O boxes (and DMX cables) obsolete.

To take this a step further, Chauvet should consider adding more universes (limit now is 6) and include RDM capability.

Can a simple usb dongle key be developed to unlock Artnet universes instead of investing in multiple I/O interfaces?

It could work like this:
The customer purchases a USB dongle from a dealer (which includes a Chauvet ShowXpress lanyard) that unlocks a single Artnet universe.
If the customer requires additional Artnet universes, he/she can access the Chauvet website and download a uploader app (similar to your firmware updater app).

The customer can purchase additional universes from the website "store" and be emailed a code.
The customer then enters the code in the uploader app to flash the dongle and unlock additional Artnet universes.

They would still need to purchase nodes (3rd party included) but, the DMX AN-2 at $165 map is still the least expensive option on the market currently which will encourage customer loyalty to your brand.

What do you think?
SWFL LD

Re: Dongle Keys Instead Of I/O Boxes for Unlocking Artnet

Postby support » 25 June 2019, 16:57

Can a simple usb dongle key be developed to unlock Artnet universes instead of investing in multiple I/O interfaces?

This is the dream of the hackers.
A software using a dongle is very easy to crack.
The Lighting Controller
support
Administrateur

Re: Dongle Keys Instead Of I/O Boxes for Unlocking Artnet

Postby SWFL LD » 25 June 2019, 17:50

Thank you for your reply but, this is a lame excuse.

ShowXpress is exclusively proprietary and contains it's own unique code.

I seriously doubt anyone would waste their time trying to hack a lighting program.
There's no profit in it.
SWFL LD

Return to Artnet