Thought I would be able to save...

control Artnet fixtures

Thought I would be able to save...

Postby daba » 19 March 2019, 09:53

I have been looking for some time for a great piece of software to control 8 RGBW static lights. It has to be simple to configure and use, because I'm a newbie to all this.

I came across Sweeltlight, and to be honest I haven't yet found anything else to match it. I tried several others, including FreeStyler, DMXControl, LightJams M-PC (Onyx) etc., but didn't like the control interfaces. LightJams was particularly obtuse, with their grid system.

Anyway, I want to use SweetLight, I like it a lot, but faced with the cost of the Cable interface, I looked around to see if there was an alternative solution more suited to my limited budget.

I found this video on Youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5s7dLTik9M8 where the software Art-Net to DMX that came with FreeStyler was used to interface M-PC (output Art-Net) to DMX, in my case I have the uDMX device from eBay, which is a supported one.

Thought I would give it a try on SweetLight, converting Sweetlight's Art-Net output to uDMX. but try as I might could not get it to work, the Art-Net to DMX software could not see any Art-Net network, or any DMX data being transmitted. I'm guessing that SweetLight is checking to see if it has one of their supported interfaces connected, and doesn't work without the "proper" one. I can't blame them for doing that, their software is free, so they make their money on the interfaces I presume.

So I need to save up for their Cable interface, it will do what I want it to do.... As I am now retired, it might be a while before I can spend that sort of money....
daba

Re: Thought I would be able to save...

Postby daba » 01 April 2019, 14:59

I managed to acquire the Chauvet USB cable, second-hand, for much less than "half-price". It would not work with Sweetlight, not detected, so I downloaded and installed Chauvet ShowXpress, and I'm good to go. ShowXpress even had my fixtures that I had set up in Sweetlight !
daba

Re: Thought I would be able to save...

Postby support » 01 April 2019, 16:02

Yes, lightshows are 100% compatible.
The Lighting Controller
support
Administrateur

Return to Artnet