DMX-AN Trouble? Read this!!

control Artnet fixtures

DMX-AN Trouble? Read this!!

Postby AmpdEntmt » 01 November 2017, 21:00

So I bit the bullet and picked up a DMX-AN, which is Chauvet's Artnet to DMX converter those of you that don't already know.. As I pulled it out of the packaging and plugged everything in, I set up my IP address and sub net as per instructions, and logged onto the 2.0.0.1 setup webpage. Punched in all my info and set the universe on port A as 'output' and universe as # '2'.

I plugged in a par to test, and no DMX signal was coming out of the box. So I double checked everything and re-read all the instructions, but I had done everything right. Then I decided to install showXpress on my windows laptop and see if it was the OS, but same issues there. (more on OS later) I even called Chauvet tech support, and although the agent said he'd call back I never got a call. So I started to mess round with settings and found the issue!

It turns out that in the 2.0.0.1 setup page in your web browser, when declaring your universe the universe numbering starts from zero. (i.e: putting 0 on the setup webpage is really universe #1 in showXpress, and putting 1 on the setup webpage is really universe #2 in showXpress, etc, etc..) So if you want your Xpress512 to be universe #1, and the DMX-AN to be universe #2 in showXpress, on the DMX-AN setup webpage you must set the universe to 1, since U1 is really U2 in showXpress.

I'm not sure if this was intentional by Chauvet, but I know that this is also a common programming mistake. Just something for everyone to beware of, and avoid the frustrations I've had!
AmpdEntmt

Re: DMX-AN Trouble? Read this!!

Postby AmpdEntmt » 01 November 2017, 21:07

... As for the part related to my OS, don't bother trying to use Apple's native web browser "Safari" for accessing the 2.0.0.1 setup page.

The device settings won't load onto the screen and show any previously chosen parameters. All of the fields such as name, IP address, and subnet all show as empty or return to their default. If you fill everything in and click 'apply', the screen will just refresh and clear all of your boxes once again.

Save yourself the hassle and download google chrome, where I didn't experience any of the above issues.
AmpdEntmt

Postby jkichline » 29 December 2017, 19:43

I typically like Chauvet products, but the DMX-AN is a pretty poor showing. It's not an issue with Safari... it's just crappy HTML/Javascript on the interface that's not compatible. It shouldn't be this difficult to configure, especially when you enter a new IP address and the reload just fails because it's trying to load the configuration screen on the old IP address. That and there's no way to set a password on the configuration screen so anyone can go and switch the IP address and break your show if they get on the network.

Do yourself a favor and get an EZ Kling. It's cheaper and a lot more flexible and easier to configure.
jkichline

Postby timokleinnulent » 16 May 2018, 08:47

timokleinnulent

Postby support » 16 May 2018, 14:12

Thank you for the info.
Link to PDF added here: https://thelightingcontroller.com/viewt ... =81&t=3741
The Lighting Controller
support
Administrateur

Return to Artnet