Artnet DMX control for Resolume VJ software

control Artnet fixtures

Artnet DMX control for Resolume VJ software

Postby DHoude » 30 April 2017, 11:36

So I have been doing some VJ work in in recent years with software called Resolume. Someone had a question about controlling Resolume with Artnet DMX which already exists. But While trying to help them make this work, I am finding that I can't get SX and Resolume talking. I have built the fixtures based off the Resolume DMX Auto Map specs. Then I Enabled Artnet in SX Preferences as well as made 2 Universes available. My 512+ box is plugged in and software was restarted after all those settings. I set up the Resolume fixture on Universe 1 and I set the Resolume fixture "Artnet IP address" in ShowExpress as my local machine 127.0.0.1 (loopback) which did not work, so then I tried my local IP 10.1.1.89.

What I can't really figure out in Resolume is the "subnet" Artnet input field. As well as SX starts with Universe 1, but Resolume starts with "0" (zero). I have seen other software Artnet input setting look more like Resolume. But with SX being the Artnet host application and no way to set Subnet value (that I can find) or "0" (zero) for the universe, I have no idea what values are correct to use here. I am hoping you guys can offer some assistance. I have never used Artnet before this.

[image]
DHoude

Re: Artnet DMX control for Resolume VJ software

Postby DHoude » 30 April 2017, 23:06

I forgot to say that I completely turned off my Firewall too. Still not connected.
DHoude

Postby Alpho » 04 May 2017, 12:07

Hello. I am doing lighting, video, and audio operation this month for a circus, where all of these things are ran from showxpress. I am playing timelines which have lighting and audio cues in them. Additionally, I have created my own DMX mapping for resolume (I recommend this over the auto map). I am triggering columns on resolume from showxpress with just one address. Also I am fading opacity of layers with one channel.

For the subnet, I can confirm that 0 is 255.0.0.0
Alpho

Postby Alpho » 04 May 2017, 12:08

I have the columns triggered in resolume from a step scene that's placed in timeline. Audio, video, and lighting is synced up and happens all at the same time. It's truly incredible.
Alpho

Postby DHoude » 04 May 2017, 13:18

Thanks, we may have had a breakthrough over on the Resolume thread. We think that only one app (Resolume or SX) can have the Artnet port at a time. With both programs on one PC, this may be the issue. I have to set another laptop up. A new one for SX and then leave my gig one alone for Resolume.

We used ArtNetominator and it shows the ShowExpress is doing everything it was told and I am not missing anything. It looks like Resolume just isn't listening. Perhaps that is because SX has the ArtNet port first, which is blocking Resolume from being able to listen on that port.

Other than learning, I can't believe I am doing this for an OP on Resolume that has not responded at all over there.. Personally I intend to use Resolume with my APC 40. Resolume gets the Midi clock from my DJ app which has it's own DJ controller. I don't really need lights anymore because most of the time I am hooking into other shows now, so the lights are from the sound company. But I like learning and I am trying to get away from DJing (everyone is a "DJ") and more into show production. Yours sounds pretty cool though. Let me know if you are ever in CT, USA. I would love to check it out.
DHoude

Postby DHoude » 07 May 2017, 13:36

It appears that Show Express takes exclusive control of the ArtNet port, blocking other applications from operating on ArtNet, on the same computer. Resolume claims in version 5.01 they removed this limitation. So I am wondering if this exclusive ArtNet control can be removed in Show Express? It would be nice if I could operate on one machine.
DHoude

Return to Artnet