MIDI footswitch control [fixed]

live control with midi devices

MIDI footswitch control [fixed]

Postby boogiemarshall » 04 April 2021, 13:39

We had been running our show live from the stage (no automation, no dedicated FOH or light person) and were using a Rocktron MIDI foot-controller into a Chauvet Obey 40. We now have a better lightshow and I purchased Show Xpress and the Rack-1024. When I try to connect my foot-controller to my MacBook Air with a iConnectivity Mio MIDI to USB cable, the only device that shows up in the MIDI window is the Mio cable; Show Xpress does not recognize the footswitch at the other end of the Mio cable. How do I get the software to recognize my footswitch?
boogiemarshall

Re: MIDI footswitch control

Postby support » 04 April 2021, 21:16

Our software asks the Operating System to send the list of available midi devices.
An empty list means the OS says there is not available midi device for our software.

FYI, if another task takes over the midi interface, then it is not available for our software.

We suggest you to check the midi device on another different system (Windows for instance).
The Lighting Controller
support
Administrateur

Postby Luc Henrion » 05 April 2021, 08:04

AFAIK, the MIDI controller doesn't have to be "recognized": it should just send MIDI messages thru the Mio MIDI-USB converter. Try any other MIDI device (keyboard for example): it will not "appear" but will work anyway.
Luc Henrion

Re: MIDI footswitch control [Solved]

Postby boogiemarshall » 09 April 2021, 11:35

Working now. I started out using a Roland UM-ONE MIDI to USB cable, but it won't work with my Mac (it is 32 bit and my Mac only works with 64 bit). Then I tried an iConnectivity mio cable. No luck. So I took it back and got another. Success! The software still doesn't "recognize" the footswitch, but as Luc noted, it just works. Per Support's suggestion I tried it on my wife's PC first and it did not work, so then I tested it with a different MIDI foot controller and it still didn't work. Last thing to check was the cable; but both were brand new, so I foolishly assumed that it couldn't be that.... d'oh!

Thanks for you help!!!!
boogiemarshall

Postby support » 09 April 2021, 13:43

Good news !

Thank you for your feedback.
The Lighting Controller
support
Administrateur

Return to Midi