triggering lightshows and scenes with midi in Ableton

live control with midi devices

triggering lightshows and scenes with midi in Ableton

Postby mpanza » 12 October 2020, 12:16

Hello,

I am new to ShowXpress. I used to use DMXIS. I'd like to be able to do something similar with ShowXpress. In DMXIS, I would store each song in a Bank and then within that bank I would have lighting Presets for the various sections in the song (eg. intro, verse, chorus, etc). I would then use a midi note to trigger the appropriate Bank number to access the Song and then other midi notes to trigger the appropriate presets in the song (intro, verse, chorus, etc) as the song played.

Is there a way to do something like this in ShowXpress? Maybe I could save each song as a separate Lightshow and then each step scene in the Lightshow could be a section of the song (intro, verse chorus)? If so, is it possible to use midi to load a Lightshow?

Thanks!

Michael
mpanza

Re: triggering lightshows and scenes with midi in Ableton

Postby SeekLighting » 12 October 2020, 22:44

Your best bet is to save each song as a Sequential list within one large lightshow. You can then just use spacebar to scroll through the cues from start to finish.

As for mapping each section of the song to a separate MIDI note there are ways you can do that, but I think Sequential List will be your best bet.
SeekLighting

Postby mpanza » 13 October 2020, 17:24

Thanks so much for your response! I tried experimenting a little with the sequential list but not quite sure how to make it function properly. I've read the manual but it is very uninformative! Any ideas where to learn more specifics on how to use the sequential list? I've also googled and checked youtube but nothing specific to that. Any many of the videos i've seen are all super outdated.
mpanza

Postby SeekLighting » 13 October 2020, 22:04

mpanza wrote:Thanks so much for your response! I tried experimenting a little with the sequential list but not quite sure how to make it function properly. I've read the manual but it is very uninformative! Any ideas where to learn more specifics on how to use the sequential list? I've also googled and checked youtube but nothing specific to that. Any many of the videos i've seen are all super outdated.

I'll do up a video for you and post sometime in the next 24 hours ish
SeekLighting

Return to Midi