Sweetlight Midi Control with Behringer X Air Edit

live control with midi devices

Re: Sweetlight Midi Control with Behringer X Air Edit

Postby James » 09 January 2018, 12:43

Hi Luc,

Had a look with Presonus and looks like I can create a new bank of switches, knobs etc that works with X Air Edit (this is the software for use with Behringer's XR12

I'm guessing you're using your Cubase with it's own reverbs etc and just triggering Sweetlight for the timelines?

Do you have your tracks saved individually that you load with a keyboard shortcut, or do you have one file with all the tracks and you un-mute each one with keyboard shortcut?

Was just thinking one huge hour long track set with markers would be time consuming also if I wanted to change the order of a track at any point, that could be tricky doing it live

many thanks for you help with this.
James

Postby Luc Henrion » 09 January 2018, 15:24

Indeed, it's a kind of huge long track, actually about 15 separate WAV files (+ a few MIDi files), placed one after the other on the same track, with a lot of markers. Well, in my case, not so many... but of course it's a very "fixed" show, I don't imagine changing the order of songs: there is a story going on between each track (hence the "+ woman" one-man show!), no place for improvisation.
But, should the need arise, it might be possible to an extent with the "next" and "back" shortcuts...
So what you would see on my screen is, from top to bottom: the markers track (with names for each marker), a dedicated MIDI track with the corresponding cues for Sweetlight (everything on MIDI channel 16 for security), another MIDI track for some backing on my external synths, an audio track for the rest of the backing tracks, a couple of other (empty) audio tracks, only used in "monitor mode" with some VST effects (reverb for the voice, multi-FX for an electric guitar) and a VSTi track for the piano sound provided by Pianoteq. That's it.
I could add a video track but I don't use video for this particular show.

PS: Yes, I know what X Air Edit is for, it's the same as X32-Edit for the X32. Except you don't need it with the X32: there are plenty of knobs to play with. I just love knobs and faders ! 8-)
Luc Henrion

Postby James » 09 January 2018, 16:06

Hi Luc,

I've managed to create an external device so when I use Sweetlight with a live button it triggers the reverb on within Presonus, it's a start and maybe not the way forward.

I'm just struggling to work out how to record my external triggers.

I have also seen an app which may interest you (Link below)

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... r&hl=en_GB

I will have a closer look at your previous message you sent and I will try to replicate it in Presonus, pity Sweetlight doesn't have a designated channel in timeline to drop in midi message controllers during a performance.

once again thank you for your help, much appreciated.
James

Postby Luc Henrion » 09 January 2018, 18:08

Thanks for the links, interesting app indeed.
But, as "support" mentioned, usually, the MIDI sequencer is the master and all the rest are "slaves"...
It might be much easier to program a reverb change in Presonus Studio One (I don't know, I just scratched the surface of this DAW...) and let him also trigger any Live button in Sweetlight...
The way I did it in Cubase was simply to record a given note (very, very short MIDI sequence!) and to make Sweetlight learn this note for a given button. Done.
You can tweak the exact position of course and name the sequence for reference.
Then go to the next marker and just do the same for one or more other button(s). You end up with a bunch of small, named, MIDI sequences, each corresponding to one or several given Live button(s), that you can swap, copy, paste as you want. EZ and fast.
Luc Henrion

Postby thorehl » 06 June 2018, 10:03

@James
What is wrong with Qlab? It does everything you are talking about and more
Thore
lydlys.com - Freelance sound & light engeneer
Using HW: D1024 & D512
Controller: 2x Akai APC mini
my DIY light mixer
thorehl

Previous