Live Button Priority over Midi Control

live control with midi devices

Live Button Priority over Midi Control

Postby muscanto » 27 October 2017, 00:10

Hello!

Right now, I am using midi notes to trigger static scenes in tempo with Ableton. When I use a live button to "override" the look, my button is deactivated with the next midi note triggered scene. Is there a way to set priority on the buttons so that midi triggered ones have a lower priority over buttons I am using manually in my live view?

Thanks.
muscanto

Re: Live Button Priority over Midi Control

Postby support » 27 October 2017, 09:18

No this is not possible.
Wherever the trigger is coming from (mouse click, midi, keyboard , ...) the button will swap its state for each trigger.
The Lighting Controller
support
Administrateur

Postby muscanto » 27 October 2017, 19:47

Would it be possible to add a button priority feature in a future release? Maybe we could give live buttons a priority value 1-255 where the higher button priority takes precedence?

It would be very helpful for layering button effects and overriding MIDI controlled buttons.
muscanto

Postby support » 27 October 2017, 21:21

Hum !
Our first impression is such feature looks not really userfriendly.
It seems it does not really match with the concept of our software.

Wondering about the mind of other users.
The Lighting Controller
support
Administrateur

Postby muscanto » 27 October 2017, 21:46

I can think of some ways where it would be useful other then MIDI too. If you've got some static scenes that when activated, you don't won't duplicate fixture/channel settings to take over.

You could add a tab to the button control for "Priority" and have a drop down inside that tab with the default option being 255 or lowest priority, and 1 being highest priority. If users don't make a change, the last triggered scene takes over since all the buttons will be on 255 (the way it is now). If users do want to take advantage of the setting, they can set a lower number for higher priority or organize their buttons how they see fit with different values. I would have this setting affect the buttons globally and not just locally to that particular board.

Is there a good place I can suggest this to get other users feedback?

Thanks!
muscanto

Postby SeekLighting » 28 October 2017, 14:08

Hi Muscanto,

This forum is a good place to get the feedback of some fairly dedicated users. In terms of what you're asking for, I'mwith support in that I don't think MIDI-triggered buttons should have priority over buttons triggered with mouse click (which from what I understand is what you're asking for originally correct?)

In terms of more general priority of one scene over another, most of the big boy lighting desks (Hog4, MPC, etc) work out scene priority in two systems:
Latest Takes Precedence
Highest Takes Precedence
In LTP, the latest value a dmx channel receives top priority
In HTP, whatever scene is giving the highest DMX value to a particular channel will take precedence on that channel.

It could be useful in future to at least have the option to choose between one or the other? That way at least there is some options, despite it not being quite as granular as Muscanto is asking.
The current system is LTP yes?
SeekLighting

Postby support » 28 October 2017, 16:54

The Lighting Controller
support
Administrateur

Postby muscanto » 29 November 2017, 20:34

I'm not requesting that MIDI takes priority but rather an option to set a priority value for a scene.

I thought of another example of how this could be useful.

Say, I have several scenes on a board that i chase between following BPM. On another board, I have a scene that makes all the fixtures go white to flood the stage with white light when I hold the button (flash button). This works, except I have to pause the chase or else the next chase scene will take over my flash button.

If I had a priority option, I could set the all white button to highest priority, say 255 for example and I could set the chase scene buttons to 1. So when both buttons are selected, the white button takes over since it has a higher priority at 255.

Hope this helps and makes sense.
muscanto

Postby SeekLighting » 29 November 2017, 23:52

muscanto wrote:
If I had a priority option, I could set the all white button to highest priority, say 255 for example and I could set the chase scene buttons to 1. So when both buttons are selected, the white button takes over since it has a higher priority at 255.

Sounds like you're looking for a HTP option
SeekLighting

Postby muscanto » 30 November 2017, 17:21

Is there HTP for the buttons? I know there is an HTP option but I don't really understand how it works. I understand what HTP is, just not how it's implemented in showxpress.
muscanto

Next

Return to Midi