Wireless MIDI controller options

live control with midi devices

Wireless MIDI controller options

Postby LugNutt » 28 December 2016, 03:21

Hey guys, I'm new here. So I'm sorry if this is an odd request.

I didn't see the option for the program I run on my way in.

I run Martin LightJockey.
We aren't a band, we are a different type of DJ/eMCee where the DJ and eMCee interact with eachother and the crowd.
The music changes night to night, so I can't set up as per a set list at all. We perform 3-4 nights a week.

As the production manager, I run the lights, generally from anywhere in the room. I use a Numark Orbit to do this. I change the lights to the music, so they are changing as exact to the beat as I can. I have 20 different Cues that I use and 10 more different sequences as well.

Numark seems to have discontinued this unit. Yes they are still out there, but I'm concerned with what I will do in the future. I really liked it because it was inexpensive, so if it got broken... not a big deal. That's what makes me a bit nervous using an iPad or Android unit.

A friend of mine uses a wireless router and an iPad. He has had issues with it lagging and has crashed the computer when pushed "hard" like I run our system. Obviously in the middle of a show that's unacceptable.

What do you guys use to control your lighting systems wirelessly? Does anyone change their Cues or Scenes with a tap sync VERY frequently?

Thanks guys!
LugNutt

Return to Midi