MPD226 Have to press twice to turn off live button [fixed]

live control with midi devices

MPD226 Have to press twice to turn off live button [fixed]

Postby rockinmo816 » 28 July 2021, 20:22

Installing new MPD226 so we have backlit MIDI pads. I have light up/off working now but I have to set controller to be toggle not momentary. When this happens, i have to double tap the midi pad for the live button to come off. For on, its one tap. So basically, one tap turns the live button on, midi button lights up, press it again and midi button light turns off but live button stays on. I have to press midi button again (light comes back on) for the live button to turn off. Still searching but cant find an answer yet
thanks
Josh
rockinmo816

Re: MPD226 Have to press twice to turn off live button

Postby rockinmo816 » 29 July 2021, 20:59

Troubleshooting this on MAC as I am more familiar here. My MIDI output window isn't showing me the whole line of commands so I can't see the DataON DataOFF values. If I expand the screen nothing happens, the line is still truncated. Additionally the only way I can get output to show up in this window is if I click in the blank part of the screen. It does not auto display.

[image]
rockinmo816

Postby rockinmo816 » 29 July 2021, 21:31

You can see here, the MIDI is sending NoteOFF with a value of 0. This is what Showxpress wants for the button to trigger it OFF. Am i missing something or is the software not reacting to MIDI correctly? I've tried a few versions to make sure it wasn't something new that was introduced. So far, same behavior.

[image]
rockinmo816

Postby support » 02 August 2021, 09:53

Our software does not truncate the received midi messages. For an unknown reason, it looks MacOS does that.
Our log file shows 2 midi devices ; please try first with one midi device only.
This midi device seems to be high level programmable. We suggest you to have a look of how its midi messages are currently setted, and if necessary to set them to basic on/off notes messages.
The Lighting Controller
support
Administrateur

Postby rockinmo816 » 02 August 2021, 19:39

I got this working finally. It was a combo of settings on the MPD226 and the correct settings in ShowXpress. I think one of the biggest items was setting MPD226 clock to external, and in ShowXpress using the Bistable button option. I am documenting my changes for reference in the future.

Thanks!
Josh
rockinmo816

Postby support » 02 August 2021, 21:50

Well noted.
This is a good news !
The Lighting Controller
support
Administrateur

Re: MPD226 Have to press twice to turn off live button [fixe

Postby rockinmo816 » 03 August 2021, 19:39

Here is the run down on what I did to make this work. Please note this worked successfully on Windows and Mac operating systems. The screenshots below show the ShowXpress settings I used. I did see some "weird" behavior on the notes that were LEARNED from ShowXpress software so if I saw a different value after using the LEARN button a few times, I looked at the note the Midi controller was configured to use and cross referenced it with an online chart. Yeah i learned more than i wanted to about MIDI but oh well!!

Here are the MIDI controller (MPD226 specific) settings I am using:
Under Global settings:
Common Channel: USB A1
Note Display Type: Value
Clock source: External

Under Edit settings (each pad or button has its own EDIT menu so you'll have to set this for EVERY button you use. The pads were the only thing not working for me out of the box)
Type: Note
MidiChannel: Common
Note: (What you expect the note to be)
Aft: OFF
Note Mode: Toggle

Anything that I left out I just left as default. I cannot guarantee that all of these settings are 100% necessary to make this work, but this is what is working for me! Good luck
-josh
Attachments
Capture2.PNG
Main software midi preference settings
Capture2.PNG (14.55 KiB) Viewed 6719 times
Capture.PNG
Live button midi trigger settings
Capture.PNG (15.28 KiB) Viewed 6719 times
rockinmo816

Re: MPD226 Have to press twice to turn off live button [fixe

Postby support » 03 August 2021, 21:43

Thank you for this tuto for MPD226 with our software.
The Lighting Controller
support
Administrateur

Return to Midi