Issues with V9

post here general topics for software

Issues with V9

Postby SWFL LD » 19 October 2018, 05:01

I have been using and installing this lighting control software since it was introduced.

This program has been continuously improved over the years and has evolved into a DMX control solution
for 100s of shows I have teched.

But now it appears some changes made in V9 have stopped me dead in my tracks and have me looking to buy an actual console.

Last Saturday (Oct 13th), I was the LD for a large outdoor concert starring Quiet Riot.
It was a medium sized lighting rig on a 32'X24' stage featuring 16 moving fixtures, LED pars hazers, strobes ect.

The 1st issue happened when I tried to patch my laptop. Major issues with loading the proper drivers.
And again at FOH with my desktop PC. I never did get that PC to communicate with my Xpress 512 and was forced to use my laptop for the entire event.

The next issue happened when I tried to program my scenes and cues.

I was in a tent during daylight and could not see my screens AT ALL!
I don't know who's bright idea it was to black out the background but this one change messed me up big time.

I was forced to program the show on the laptop backstage in our RV and didn't have time to build a 3D environment.
As a result of not being able to see my screens at the FOH position, I was forced to record all of my moving fixture positions after sunset while the opening act
was performing (very un-professional).

In your next update:
Please include an option in the live preferences tab allowing me to toggle between the old white background (day) and the new black background (night).
Thank you.
SWFL LD

Re: Issues with V9

Postby SeekLighting » 19 October 2018, 06:42

Hey man,

There already is an option to change to the old colour scheme. Most of us like the dark UI as we are doing shows in dark spaces at night, and the bright interface is very harsh on our eyes. Hence the change to the dark UI.

Go to File > Preferences, and use the drop down box "Colour Theme" and select "Default OLD". This will revert back to the light colour scheme.

FYI most software solutions and big consoles have moved to dark UI - GrandMA, Chamsys, Hog4 are all dark UI.
SeekLighting

Postby SWFL LD » 06 November 2018, 04:19

Yes, and thank you for your help but Iv'e been there and it doesn't offer a second theme.
Only "default".
I have 2 shows this weekend and both require me to scene build during daylight hours.
I would dearly love to solve this issue before then, but I have the feeling that I may need to use V8 or rent a GMA2.
And even though that console has adapted the dark UI, I can still see it's screens in any light.
It has something to do with the actual shade of grey versus the black contrasts.
The screen images become indistinguishable when more ambient light is introduced (like sunlight).
I experienced no issues with the old white background.
For in-show, I simply changed my Windows theme to Black/Blue, set my mouse cursor color to inverted and dimmed my screens.
That method doesn't work with this new UI color theme.
[image]
Last edited by SWFL LD on 06 November 2018, 04:38, edited 1 time in total.
SWFL LD

Postby SeekLighting » 06 November 2018, 04:34

Dude what OS is that?? Looks like windows 2000! That's probably the problem. I'm running windows 10 and can confirm the option is there.

A lot of the skins and windows in ShowXpress use default operating system widgets and themes. It's possible that you don't have the option because the theme simply isn't in the OS you're using. I'm just speculating here though, Support can probably help. Perhaps that's also why it's unusably dark for you, I find the dark grey theme quite pleasant, even at outdoor gigs. It could look different with your OS than what it's supposed to.

Needless to say looks like it's time to upgrade...
SeekLighting

Postby SWFL LD » 06 November 2018, 04:39

7 Pro Ultimate and yes agreed on the darker UI for in-show but that's not what my issue is.
I need to be able to see it in daylight.

FYI Widgets and themes don't limit or control content of dropdown menus within 3rd party applications running on Windows (any version)

I don't trust Win 10 for several reasons.

And BTW, I'm not some idiot rookie. I've been a self-employed freelance lighting professional for 30+yrs and answer more questions than I ask.
Here's a pic of my last arena show on 11/2.
Hertz Arena Miguel.jpg
Hertz Arena Miguel.jpg (191.46 KiB) Viewed 15620 times

I do thank you for being helpful.
SWFL LD

Postby gérald01 » 08 November 2018, 20:24

Bonjour,
Pour moi aussi je ne peut pas changer le theme de couleur.
je n'est qu'un seul choix qui es " default" .
Pas d'autre choix systeme : d'exploitation windows 7.
Pas facile de travailler avec en pleine journée avec le soleil.

Gérald.
gérald01

Postby SeekLighting » 08 November 2018, 20:51

SWFL LD wrote:7 Pro Ultimate and yes agreed on the darker UI for in-show but that's not what my issue is.
I need to be able to see it in daylight.

FYI Widgets and themes don't limit or control content of dropdown menus within 3rd party applications running on Windows (any version)

I don't trust Win 10 for several reasons.

And BTW, I'm not some idiot rookie. I've been a self-employed freelance lighting professional for 30+yrs and answer more questions than I ask.
Here's a pic of my last arena show on 11/2.
Hertz Arena Miguel.jpg

I do thank you for being helpful.

Mate I'm sorry, I wasn't trying to be insulting, just trying to help. I'm waiting for Support to weigh in here, they can probably give you a more definitive answer. My hypothesis is just that it has something to do with your OS theme.
SeekLighting

Postby support » 09 November 2018, 11:52

There may have been a second file in the theme folder, but it was an oversight.
There is only one official theme.
The reason of the file in the theme folder was to help us to create this theme.
This file can be edited and modified at your own risks (just make a copy of it in case of).
But please note that some parts of the UI are not customizable (like the section "channels" in the tab "Steps").
The Lighting Controller
support
Administrateur

Postby SWFL LD » 13 November 2018, 03:46

I can open the "default" theme file with Microsoft's Wordpad.
In that file: properties > security, I changed my user permissions to include "full control" to allow me to make changes to that file.

So what exactly am I changing?
It's all coded.
Can you provide a code key?

And, Can I copy the "default" theme, make the changes and save it in the same folder under a different name
so I may toggle between the 2 themes?

Thank you
[image]
SWFL LD

Postby support » 13 November 2018, 09:12

It's all coded.

It is not coded.
It is RGB hex code (#RRGGBB)
https://www.rapidtables.com/web/color/RGB_Color.html

Can I copy the "default" theme, make the changes and save it in the same folder under a different name
so I may toggle between the 2 themes?

Yes, you can switch from one color theme to another from the main menu "Preferences".
The Lighting Controller
support
Administrateur

Next

Return to General software