Using Virtual DJ 8 and Showxpress on 2 different PC [fixed]

post here general topics for software

Using Virtual DJ 8 and Showxpress on 2 different PC [fixed]

Postby ineedabeatdj » 25 October 2017, 14:54

thelightingcontroller8 Virtual DJ Plugin

Does anyone know how to get this plugin working when using Virtual DJ 8 and Showxpress on 2 different laptops? I have it working on the same laptop with the auto BPM, but I'm not sure how to set it up with showxpress running on a separate laptop? On my wedding gigs I use a single PC, but at my bigger school dances, I use a separate laptop with showxpress. Can you tell me how to get it going? I assume you can hook a cat5 cable between the laptops, but I'm not sure what to set in the ip settings on each PC. I noticed Scott said in his setup instructions (below) to "* Ensure "Host" is 127.0.0.1 (unless ShowXpress is on a different computer)" so Showxpress will be on a different computer.

Thank you for any info!

Brad

Setup Instructions...

For those having difficulty in getting this working, in ShowXpress:

* File > Preferences > Network > Ensure "External App." is Enabled. Note down port number if not the default of 7348.
* Live > Top left button > Settings > Ensure "External Control" is Enabled. Note down password if not the default of 1234.

Ensure VDJ is closed, then delete the plugin settings to reset it to default by deleting Documents\Plugins\AutoStart\TheLightingController8.ini (will be in Plugins64 on Mac).

Open VDJ, then open the plugin GUI by clicking Master section > Master Effect > AutoStart > TheLightingController8 > Cog Icon

* Ensure "Enable" is enabled (green)
* Ensure "Host" is 127.0.0.1 (unless ShowXpress is on a different computer)
* Ensure "Port" matches the above (default 7348)
* If your password is not the default (1234) then click password and set the new password

Load a song in VDJ, start it playing. Go to the ShowXpress window and notice the Auto BPM section on the right hand side will be moving in time with the beat in VDJ (and will stop moving if you stop the song in VDJ). Click the On/Off checkbox to then use this BPM in ShowXpress.
ineedabeatdj

Re: TheLightingController8 Virtual DJ plugin?

Postby Niffo » 26 October 2017, 17:47

Theoretically, you just have to change the host IP "127.0.0.1" to the computer IP running the Lightshow in the VDJ plugin configuration. Are you able to ping both computers one from the other ? May be a firewall blocking ?
Niffo
Administrateur

Re: TheLightingController8 Virtual DJ plugin?

Postby ineedabeatdj » 27 October 2017, 13:33

That was it. I had the 2 computers set up, one could ping, the other couldn't. I turned off the firewall on the DJ computer and it started working. Thanks for the info.

Brad
ineedabeatdj

Return to General software