Options for a Black user interface?

post here general topics for software

Options for a Black user interface?

Postby Tomlin » 08 November 2016, 03:17

Hi

Is it possible to make it an option to have the "skin", or basic color look of ShiwXpress black so that it's less bright when used in the typical darkened environments? This would be a very welcomed change or option vs just the current gray/white color of the user interface.

Thanks for your consideration.
Eric Tomlin
Production Director
Bridge Community Church
Tomlin

Re: Options for a Black user interface?

Postby support » 08 November 2016, 08:49

We made a black "Live" screen some years ago.
It has been rejected by all users (they want an "easy to read" graphical user interface).
We had to come back to the existing one.

And we are not able to propose more than one interface.
Sorry for that.
The Lighting Controller
support
Administrateur

Postby Tomlin » 08 November 2016, 14:11

Hi and thanks for the prompt reply. I am sorry that I may have confused with inter-mixing terms. I really should have simply kept the term "appearance"; meaning if there could be a user-selectable option to have a black "skin" vs the current white. Of course, if the text was white, then it'd be easy to see and read and would be less harsh on the eyes in the dark environment. So this was tried before and was not well received? That is hard to understand considering that almost every professional level lighting console uses black instead of white across the entire user interface (minus buttons and text of course).
Eric Tomlin
Production Director
Bridge Community Church
Tomlin

Postby Tomlin » 07 December 2016, 15:49

Just another thought on this subject. Over the past week as we've been preparing for a big event this Friday I've had many opportunities to look back at the production area 100' away from the stage and the main source of light back there is coming from the monitor screen lighting up our lighting operator because of the white color of ShowXpress. We've even lowered the screen brightness and it really doesn't help. It also is blinding to the operator. This about how Spotify, Jands, M Martin, etc. all have dark or black as the color of the software. It's not nearly as bright and overwhelming to the eyes.

I'm asking: please reconsider making it at least an option in Preferences to have the look of the software black or dark gray instead of white. Not only will it make it easier on the eyes since 99% of the time it's used in a dark environment, but it would light up the production booth much less, and finally, bring a bit more of a "high end" look to the software itself.

Thank you a million for listening.
Eric Tomlin
Production Director
Bridge Community Church
Tomlin

Postby support » 08 December 2016, 20:31

We've even lowered the screen brightness and it really doesn't help
:o
So far, all monitors have the possibility to reduce a lot the brightness, until we see almost nothing on screen !
The Lighting Controller
support
Administrateur

Postby BartKrap » 09 December 2016, 16:55

Laptop's often can't dim as much as a pc monitor can and since most of the people using the software are mobile and/or using a laptop...
Head of lighting, lighting designer and lighting operater at De Zoom and Pinky's in Renesse and Ron van der Veen Entertainment.
BartKrap

Postby Tomlin » 23 March 2017, 18:48

support wrote:
We've even lowered the screen brightness and it really doesn't help
:o
So far, all monitors have the possibility to reduce a lot the brightness, until we see almost nothing on screen !

Yes. Part of the issue is that if I dim the screen to where it's not very bright, I cant see ShowXpress :shock:

Is is impossible to create the skins with a black color and give an option in preferences?
Eric Tomlin
Production Director
Bridge Community Church
Tomlin

Postby support » 23 March 2017, 22:29

We take note of this.
We will see that during next major software version V9 development.
The Lighting Controller
support
Administrateur

Postby Tomlin » 24 March 2017, 12:10

Thank you very much

:D
Eric Tomlin
Production Director
Bridge Community Church
Tomlin

Postby BartKrap » 26 March 2017, 15:09

+1
Head of lighting, lighting designer and lighting operater at De Zoom and Pinky's in Renesse and Ron van der Veen Entertainment.
BartKrap

Next

Return to General software