2 core vs 4 core

post here general topics for software

2 core vs 4 core

Postby bshoc » 18 September 2016, 04:42

Hey guys,

I'm getting ready to purchase a mac to run ShowXpress. I will be using the timeline and also sending videos to a projector on the timeline. I was in the apple store today trying to decide which macbook to get. I can get a 2 core processor with with higher GHz or a 4 core processor with lower GHz. The guy explained to me that of course 4 cores are faster even at a lower GHz unless the software using it was written in a way to only utilize 2 cores. So my question... Does ShowXpress use 2 cores or 4 cores? And the bigger question, how fast of a computer do I need to have, (in particular to make sure video stays synced to DMX timeline)? I've had some issues in the past with the video staying in sync with the lights, and would like to make sure this doesn't happen.

Thanks in advance!
bshoc

Re: 2 core vs 4 core

Postby support » 18 September 2016, 18:06

V8 will use all available threads (core). You can buy a 8 core if existing, and V8 will use all of them.
viewtopic.php?f=75&t=4344&p=17507&hilit=threaded#p17507

V7 does not.

Regarding synch, it is to hard to say. It depends of so many details.
But for sure, a fast PC is always better for that.
The Lighting Controller
support
Administrateur

Postby bshoc » 18 September 2016, 20:44

support wrote:Regarding synch, it is to hard to say. It depends of so many details.
But for sure, a fast PC is always better for that.

Thank you. Can you please list details? We will do whatever we need to do to make sure it syncs. Thank you.
bshoc

Postby support » 18 September 2016, 21:13

We can not tell more.
Some users are satisfied, and some less.
Just keep in mind that TimeLine is not so sync than an expensive Midi Time Code setup could be.

We suggest you to simply try.
The Lighting Controller
support
Administrateur

Return to General software