Multiple DMX Universe Selection

post here general topics for software

Multiple DMX Universe Selection

Postby ConnifBoudoin » 06 June 2016, 12:29

I am using Windows for my lighting shows with ShowXpress with 2 universes. I have a general question about how ShowXpress sets up it's ShowXpress 512 boxes. I have been using the setup a while now, but twice now I have had a problem that has caused issues for me right before the start of my show. Procedure to start up is turn on all power for all fixtures and wireless DMX. Then plug in my computer and hook the 512s up via USB cables. Plug the 2 wireless transmitters up to the 512s then start up the computer.

Now here is my question:
How do you know what 512 is connected to which universe. I usually have to just try one then switch it if it doesn't work properly. This is where the problem is. If I don't know which 512 is universe 1 then I don't know which to hook to the universe one wireless or wired for that matter. I always have to try it then switch the wiring to match the 512. I had an intermittent USB problem and it switched the 512 universe on me and I could not for the life of me figure out what was going on. I did the first few acts of my show with some of my lights not working. This was my general wash that wouldn't come up. Things were a little dark at first. I ended up loading a second computer with the program and then imported the latest running program to it to get the second universe up and running. This was quite a nightmare when running a large show with 1300 people in attendance.

Again my question is, is there a way to know which 512 connects to which universe so I know which wiring to connect my 512 to? Support?
Thanks
Connif
ConnifBoudoin

Re: Multiple DMX Universe Selection

Postby support » 06 June 2016, 13:47

So software is not able to see which interface is connected on each usb line.
However, they will not change until you keep the same connections (each interface to same usb socket).

FYI, we are preparing a new function in V8, where you could software patch the software universes to the desired usb interfaces.
The Lighting Controller
support
Administrateur

Return to General software