suggested file structure for 2 computer

post here general topics for software

suggested file structure for 2 computer

Postby bshoc » 12 May 2016, 18:25

hey guys! I'm using a MAC. I'm building light shows on a computer now. After installation, I put the main "ShowXpress" folder in my applications folder. Although it contains a folder within it named "lightshows", my first light show got saved in another location (under my main computer directory but also using a folder named "lightshows"...

I really want to make sure I make a good decision from the beginning on how I structure my light shows folders, directories, and media files. I noticed that the media files are copied to the directory, which I think is great because they won't get lost as easy. The reason I want to do it right from the beginning is because I'm going to have 2 duplicate systems. In other words, I want to have 2 computers with the exact same light shows. I will of course be updating them on one computer, and then somehow making the second computer a duplicate.

1. Do you think it is best to leave the file structure the way it is, and then physically copy from one computer to the other using flash drives? Is copying the same as importing and exporting?
2. I was thinking of using dropbox. If I move my lightshows to my dropbox folder and have the dropbox on both computers, would it automatically update, or would I have to export and import?
3. Last thought... if I use an external hard drive. Is it possible to run the application itself and all lightshows from an external hard drive? This way I could just plug into any MAC computer?

Thanks for your help! I really appreciate you guys!
bshoc

Re: suggested file structure for 2 computer

Postby support » 12 May 2016, 21:10

The lightshows are stored by default in the folder "TheLightingController" in the "home directory" folder. The location of "home directory" depends of your operating system. For more info about "home directory", please read this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Home_directory.

It is also possible to load external lightshows (stored in another location).

Considering this, you have to decide the best solution for you.
The Lighting Controller
support
Administrateur

Postby bshoc » 12 May 2016, 21:27

okay thank you.

If I store the light shows in a dropbox folder that is also on another computer, will they sync? or does it require me to import and export everytime?

Lastly, will the application run off of an external hard drive? I was just thinking if that is possible, I could plug the hard drive into any mac, and the lighting controller software and the lightshows would all work? Am I thinking correctly?

Thanks for your time! I appreciate the help!
bshoc

Postby Niffo » 13 May 2016, 06:17

- Yes you can use a dropbox directory to store your lightshows and they will be automatically synchronized (never tried here however).
- Yes you can use an external hard drive (or a network shared directory) to store your lightshows.

The "external ligthshow" option in the "Open a lightshow" window is designed for this need.
Niffo
Administrateur

Postby support » 13 May 2016, 08:24

FYI, sticky topic just added, regarding this, here: viewtopic.php?f=75&t=4354
The Lighting Controller
support
Administrateur

Postby bshoc » 13 May 2016, 13:38

Great! If I make changes on one computer, I just need to export it again on top of itself? I guess I'm just not totally understanding how I can be working on a light show within dropbox, and then export it with the same lightshow name that I'm currently using back into dropbox. Seems like there would be some type of conflict there.

Second question.
What about media files? For example, if I were to have media files inside of the dropbox which would sync on both computers, will they read the same even if the computer have 2 different names for home directory? I hope that makes sense?
bshoc

Postby support » 13 May 2016, 15:00

You have to forget the "home directory".
Everything (lightshow + media files) must be stored in the external volume.
And, in order the lightshow reads correctly the media file in both computers, the media file must be stored inside the lightshow folder.

We suggest to put a test lightshow in the external volume, and try.
The Lighting Controller
support
Administrateur

Return to General software