Multi universe - universe selection with one USB box [fixed]

post here general topics for software

Multi universe - universe selection with one USB box [fixed]

Postby rockinmo816 » 25 January 2016, 12:09

Have a problem and don't know the best way to "fix it".

We currently are running the latest version of 7.x with two DMX 512 box universes. We almost have both universes full, and are adding more fixtures in the next few weeks, so most likely will require a third universe.
Now, here is the problem. There are numerous occasions where we run multiple events simultaneously, where our gear is split up in different locations/events. We send one dmx box to each location with it's own operator. The lighting that goes to each event differs every time. Movers here, pars there, strobes here, etc. This is NEVER the same. To setup all of our fixtures into the two universes, we can successfully program our shows utilizing both DMX 512 boxes. Now, when we split gear up, and we want to use fixtures that have been assigned to universe 2, and we only have one box, I can't even access universe 2.
So... How can we utilize one master light show with all of our fixtures preprogrammed and scenes configured, and then setup our live board according to what fixtures we are utilizing for that event. I am OK with doing some quick and easy setup/programming. But having to readdress and configured most of the show for every event is very time consuming.
Having a DMX to USB interface that supported more then 1 universe without having to use multiple boxes would solve the issue. Also if we just got 2 more USB boxes that would also solve the problem, but would also have a significant cost. Making light shows for every possible fixture option "IS" an option, but I don't even want to consider the time it would take to do that. What other options are there? Am I missing something? Thanks!
rockinmo816

Re: Multi universe - universe selection with one USB box

Postby support » 25 January 2016, 18:35

Sorry, but it is presently not possible to run the lightshow of the second universe, when only one interface is plugged to the computer.
However, we note your problem. We will take some time to think about it.
The Lighting Controller
support
Administrateur

Postby rockinmo816 » 26 January 2016, 02:22

Is there a USB adapter that will support more then one universe?? We've gotta find a solution quick.
Thanks
Josh
rockinmo816

Postby support » 26 January 2016, 08:33

We propose only "one universe" interfaces (viewtopic.php?f=3&t=5).

Please note that coming V8 will open a second Artnet universe for each dmx interface ; but V8 is not available as "stable" for now.
The Lighting Controller
support
Administrateur

Postby rockinmo816 » 26 January 2016, 16:22

I just spent some time researching ArtNet last night, so I am getting familiar with it finally. So right now (V7), One USB universe = one artnet universe. You're saying for V8 (future) One USB universe = two artnet universes? Also, will you support hardware to convert Artnet into DMX, or will that still be open source?

I am either going to have to buy 4 more dmx512's (three universes for each setup we have) and a whole crap ton more of DMX, or switch to ArtNet fully and cross my fingers V8 comes out sooner than later.

Thanks
Josh
rockinmo816

Postby support » 26 January 2016, 16:38

With V7
viewtopic.php?f=81&t=3741

With V8
One dmx interface (except interface Cable) opens 2 Artnet universes:
- the first one is the mirror of the dmx interface
- the second one offers 512 more channels
Which makes a total of 1024 Artnet channels, with one dmx interface.
The Lighting Controller
support
Administrateur

Postby rockinmo816 » 26 January 2016, 17:06

Perfect!!

Any timeline on when you expect V8 to launch into production mode? (out of Alpha and Beta testing)
rockinmo816

Postby lse » 26 January 2016, 22:27

I've been asking for a multi universe artnet key for a while. I run multiple shows with multiple universes.
lse

Postby support » 27 January 2016, 08:38

V8 beta should be soon.
We are not able to give any date for first V8 production.
The Lighting Controller
support
Administrateur

Re: Multi universe - universe selection with one USB box [fi

Postby support » 10 August 2016, 15:50

Fixed in V8.1.15.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4528
The Lighting Controller
support
Administrateur

Return to General software