Question about Crashes

post here general topics for software

Question about Crashes

Postby Pink LD » 09 March 2015, 17:03

When on occaison my software crashes during heavy programming and Windows 7 shuts it down and searches for a solution, does the software or Window 7 keep a log of the crash?
If so how would I access it, or where would I find it?
Pink LD

Re: Question about Crashes

Postby Niffo » 09 March 2015, 20:18

No log who could be very usefull for us. The best is to say us what you are doing exactely when the software crashes.
For information, we have fixed some crash causes in last 7.48 EXE : viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3500#p14332

Regards.
Niffo
Administrateur

Postby Pink LD » 09 March 2015, 21:04

I went ahead an simulated a crash and its effects on Live. I videoed the experiment and will link the video shortly.

Bottom line is this: Even if you do hit the save button in Live it fails to save your current work in the face of a crash. I have been unable to force that type of crash so I have been unable to prove it to you. In my sample video I did not hit the save button before the crash because a power loss is not a hard enough crash do what I am talking about, but a software crash is enough.

Still even if the save button worked the way I would expect it to, it does not make sense in heavy programming to be hitting the save after every macro update, every button colour change, every button rename, every button move, etc, etc...

My field solution still works in that I log out of the programme frequently, generally every 30 minutes or so, but my last crash and loss was at 25 minutes. Sure I only lost the changes I made in Live for the last 25 mins but I would like to think there is a better solution than what we have now.

Here is a link to my video:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0XuIq7DTdFwLXBDQlhmWmhlajA/view?usp=sharing

What was I doing when the latest crash happened. Heavily working with 3D, Live, and Editor when I noticed that the dimmers to my LED pars had no effect, so I went to fixture profile and updated the profile so the dimmer channel would have control.
I am using a Win 7 Home Premium 64 bit machine that I formerly toured ShowXpress with from ver 5-ver 6, and I now use it as my home office programming machine.
Pink LD

Postby Pink LD » 10 March 2015, 05:38

Update: I've had 3 more crashes since I posted earlier. All crashes were when I was working with fixture addressing or updating my custom profiles for fixtures.
Pink LD

Return to General software