Hands-Free Operation

post here general topics for software

Re: Hands-Free Operation

Postby neroroxxx » 16 September 2014, 15:05

Please let me apologize because i'm horrible at explaining things...

Hey guys, i actually took it into my own hands to write a little program that works along with ShowXpress, if anything this is a good sample of a CUE type program, In my case I'm a web developer so i can easily build web applications (meaning they work on the web browser) luckily there is a plugging that allows the browser to send and receive MIDI which made it easy for me to write a web app where i can create "SONGS" and each song can have "CUES/SCENES" the application already works and i've tested it using 8 Chauvet DJ Core 3x3, the best things about this is that you can easily switch between songs and between cues with a prev/next also each CUE can have it's own custom actions which can be trigger with another midi command, in this case you have a CUE that has all your lights in dim red and when you hit the action button your blinders go on while you hold the midi button and so on.

I'm attaching screenshots below of what i did, like i said this already works well with showxpress but i have to add more features for MIDI use for now it only takes MIDI notes, also because it's a web application it needs you to instal a php server and run the application from that in order to save the show since web apps can't usually write to the local disk.

Hopefully this will serve as an example of what I was talking about, I know it's not properly explained in the images what's going on but you can see the editor and the live view (when you are on live view you can click on the song name and it will take you to the first cue for the song and click on each cue to go to it as well) you can send MIDI notes to go to the prev/next song and cues, also a blackout button, on top of that you can have custom actions as you can see on the pop up window, once you set up the custom actions to be triggered by a specific midi note, any time you hit that midi note, the program will layer that any cue of your choice on top of the one currently running.

Also the custom actions are set up on a per show, per song and per cue basis, so you can have your first custom action be the BLINDERS to go on but for a specific song you can override that and instead when you hit that button your lights will be red, then on a specific cue you can override that red color for a blue and so on.

This is great for somebody like me who's a guitar player and can't be spending too much time pressing multiple buttons, instead now i just hit one button and it takes me to the next scene of the song, my singer can also do that on songs when i'm switch my guitar presets a lot, then my drummer using a roland SPD-S can trigger the blinders to go on all or anytime he hits the pad have the lights go green etc.

This is something that would be great if it was built into ShowXpress but in the mean time at least i got something that works just fine.

I put a blog post with a few more details here

http://www.roxxxtar.com/blog/articles/2 ... showxpress

neroroxxx

Postby eeeehaw » 24 September 2014, 06:16

I'd like to see ShowXpress support the use of MIDI events coming IN to it to step the next cue in a scene that I've created earlier.

My situation is a bit different from the OPer, on the "front end"; I am running MediaShout, a multi-media presentation program on a Windows 8 computer designed for church use. It is possible to insert a MIDI (*.mid) file in the user-created "script" in that program at any desired point in sequence (along with video clips, text/graphic slides, music files, etc). The MIDI file(s) that are inserted are created using a MIDI editor, therefore just about any MIDI commands can be put into it that are compatible with the ultimate destination MIDI device, which in this case ShowXpress. Typically, the MediaShout operator manually advances from one item to the next in the script and when it comes to the MIDI file it gets "run" and the MIDI events within the file are sent to the preconfigured computer MIDI port. A MIDI router (eg, LoopBE) in the computer can then relay to another program within the computer (ShowXpress?), or one designed to route over ethernet (eg, ipMIDI) to another computer on the network running ShowXpress (what I ultimately want to do).

Ultimately, I just want to automate certain basic operations we always do in our church presentations; for example: I want MediaShout to start our "background" music playlist before/between services (It's possible to start/stop songs in a Windows Media Player or Zune program playlist via MIDI commands or even embed them into a MediaShout script), change lighting scenes/cues when the live band musicians are playing, fade to black when video clips begin, bring the appropriate light scene cue up for the host or pastor, mute/unmute specific sound mixer desk channels at certain points (possible with a new digital mixer we're in the process of implementing), etc etc. I wish for the lighting to be preconfigured and run under MediaShout control automatically without a lighting operator, if possible. This is not a rock concert, or theater play production, so fairly simple stage lighting (colored washes, elipsoidals, a few motion lights) with no exotic lighting effects or fog machines/geysers.

I have identified promising ways to handle everything at this point EXCEPT for controlling lighting via MIDI, so that's why I'm here today.

I'm experimenting with ShowXpress v7.1.12 (I'm a noobie to ShowXpress, still learning even after watching the videos & reading the few docs) on Windows 7 & 8, and with MediaShout v4.5 and 5.2 currently (I'm well versed on those programs). Next will look to try LoopBe1 initially routing MIDI to ShowXpress. I haven't had much luck over the past 3 hrs searching the forum here for others' experience controlling ShowXPress on Windows, so I ask for some guidance on this.

It's not clear to me how to map MIDI commands coming into ShowXpress to stepping cues through a scene? The UI in the software is unintuitive, and the doc has no clear examples. Are there limitations on what those MIDI commands can be (eg, SysEx), and/or are there preferable commands (eg, notes) that I should use in the MIDI files I create to fire this off? Is there a better way to "marry" MediaShout to ShowXpress than the path I'm on?

I apologize in advance if I'm posting in the wrong area; it's the closest I could find in my search results here to what others are trying to do. Thanks!
eeeehaw

Postby Earl Harvey » 24 September 2014, 09:38

First you need to create a port for Showxpress (SX) MIDI in with your LoopBe 1 and name it for example: "midi light in"...
Next you need to open SX and under File open your preferences, under the Main tab, check MIDI IN enable and select
"midi light in"...you may have to restart SX after you have assigned the port to SX if prompted...

once you have created a scene/cue in editor assign it to a button in live...
right click on the button and select button trigger, click MIDI in, next click Learn...

with Media Shout transmit a MIDI note on to SX (this message should be a toggle type , not a momentary type MIDI message)
once SX has received the incoming MIDI message the highlighted Learn button will un-highlight and you can click apply...(if you already know the MIDI ch, Note number, and data value you can enter it in manually) then click apply...

That should get you going... you may want to use a Midi controller at first to get the hang of using MIDI w SX
Earl Harvey

Postby eeeehaw » 24 September 2014, 16:32

Perhaps this is helpful for those not already aware (as I was not previously): The MIDI Manufacturers Assoc (MMA) is the standards body for MIDI, and the a relatively new (2011) spec out for "MIDI Visual Control"...ie, related to what we are talking about here. Visual elements to be addressed by this spec can include video projectors' video clips, still images, and stage lighting. Here's a link to their spec (which is primarily meant to be used by equipment and software designers, eg Chauvet):
http://www.midi.org/techspecs/rp50public.pdf
eeeehaw

Postby eeeehaw » 24 September 2014, 16:35

Earl Harvey wrote:First you need to create a port for Showxpress (SX) MIDI in with your LoopBe 1 and name it for example: "midi light in"...
Next you need to open SX and under File open your preferences, under the Main tab, check MIDI IN enable and select
"midi light in"...you may have to restart SX after you have assigned the port to SX if prompted...

once you have created a scene/cue in editor assign it to a button in live...
right click on the button and select button trigger, click MIDI in, next click Learn...

with Media Shout transmit a MIDI note on to SX (this message should be a toggle type , not a momentary type MIDI message)
once SX has received the incoming MIDI message the highlighted Learn button will un-highlight and you can click apply...(if you already know the MIDI ch, Note number, and data value you can enter it in manually) then click apply...

That should get you going... you may want to use a Midi controller at first to get the hang of using MIDI w SX

Earl: Thanks for the guidance to get me started! I'll report back how it goes.
eeeehaw

Postby support » 25 September 2014, 16:20

We just made two new tutorials to help you: viewtopic.php?f=76&t=3306
The Lighting Controller
support
Administrateur

Previous

Return to General software