Request - "locate fixture" option

post here general topics for software

Request - "locate fixture" option

Postby ERC » 23 April 2014, 06:34

Hi Guys,

is it possible to make a "Highlight" button in the "patch" window. When the "Highlite" button is activated and you click a fixture it will turn the dimmer and shutter ON so you can see what fixture you have selected. This fixture also comes in hand when patching matrixes.... I can tell :D
ERC

Re: V7 "HighLight" option

Postby support » 23 April 2014, 07:04

We guess "patch window" means "2DView" in our software (?)

- with some fixtures, full dimmer is in channel "shutter" , at a specific level, just below "strobe" function.
- with some fixtures, color channel at zero means no beam. Shall we also move the color channel ?
- with some fixtures, gobo channel at zero means no beam. Shall we also move the gobo channel ?
- you will not see the beam if pan/tilt are set to zero. Shall we also move move pan/tilt somewhere ?
- you will not see the beam if iris is set to zero. Shall we also open the iris ?
- some fixtures have reversed dimmer (level 0 mean full)
- some fixtures have only RGB channels
If we search a bit more, we will find several other issues.
Unfortunately, the software does not know the required combination for each light to see the beam.
The Lighting Controller
support
Administrateur

Postby ERC » 23 April 2014, 08:30

I'm asking for a very common option, this option is found in almost every light controller and also in the better dmx software. I use this function a lot in Pharos Light controllers.

It's almost the same as a "Locate" function which puts a fixture in a "default" mode. For a moving head this is most of the time pan and tilt at 127 and white output, so this could be be RGB at 100% or Dimmer and Shutter at 100% whatever makes the fixture do an output at white.

The information from these functions come from the personality file, where you can define what the fixture has to do when pushing then "Locate" button. In the Avolites Tiger Touch this function is called Locate Values. A locate function makes patching a lot easier, when in bigger setups.
ERC

Postby support » 23 April 2014, 13:20

Understood.
We note "upgrade our bank of personality files with 'locate values'".
When this will be done, we could think about adding a "locate fixure" function.
(nice idea, but long job)
The Lighting Controller
support
Administrateur

Postby toddlarboy » 01 May 2014, 17:55

ERC, I've also been a fan of this feature in Avolites. Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't most softwares that have "locate" also easy to modify the parameters it adjusts for the fixture. So a Mover with a reverse fader on shutter could be flipped to still allow locate to work etc?

ERC wrote:I'm asking for a very common option, this option is found in almost every light controller and also in the better dmx software. I use this function a lot in Pharos Light controllers.

It's almost the same as a "Locate" function which puts a fixture in a "default" mode. For a moving head this is most of the time pan and tilt at 127 and white output, so this could be be RGB at 100% or Dimmer and Shutter at 100% whatever makes the fixture do an output at white.

The information from these functions come from the personality file, where you can define what the fixture has to do when pushing then "Locate" button. In the Avolites Tiger Touch this function is called Locate Values. A locate function makes patching a lot easier, when in bigger setups.
toddlarboy

Re: Request - "locate fixture" option

Postby support » 01 May 2014, 18:21

If we right understood, the easiest way is to store, in the personality file, the desired value for each channel of the fixture.
Then the locate function will send these values to the dmx line (at the right dmx address).
The Lighting Controller
support
Administrateur

Postby Pink LD » 01 May 2014, 21:54

Since my lighting advances for house lighting production are typically 14-28 days out, I am used to just having a locate page I've made myself. But if this feature was incorporated, such as in the personality files, and then those values could be sent to selected fixture, yeah that would be nice. Especially if I was patching house fixtures daily on tour.
But I do admit it would be a momentous project. Perhaps it should be done organically. I am very adept creating my own custom profiles, so if the feature was incorporated into the setup, we programmers can institute it to the fixtures we need. Or at least request the fixtures we want/need to Support, like many users do when they need a fixture profile.
Pink LD

Postby support » 02 May 2014, 06:50

Yes, first thing to do is to offer the possibiity for the user to enter these values himself, in tab "Fixtures".
We will check how we could do this.
The Lighting Controller
support
Administrateur

Return to General software