Request: "Follow Spot" Feature

post here general topics for software

Request: "Follow Spot" Feature

Postby bellum128 » 14 April 2014, 02:17

I think a great, seemingly simple feature to add to the SweetLight brand of software is a "follow spot" feature. By this I mean having a way to automatically adjust the pan/tilt values of a selection of multiple fixtures to cause them to face a single point. This feature is used to provide a quick, even wash to any location in an area. I've seen other software packages with this feature that require calibration points to set it up properly, however being a C# programmer myself, I would think it could be done with simple math...

Even huge companies such as the WWE who have many fixtures to utilize appear to create a nice wash with this method at their shows with only a few fixtures. This can be seen in this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZxE32yIAk7M&t=2m0s as their colored washes are always focused on the main performer. I think an automated way to accomplish this would be nice compared to simply mapping each light to a position in different steps within a scene.
bellum128

Re: Request: "Follow Spot" Feature

Postby Pink LD » 14 April 2014, 20:45

I have worked a dozens of WWE shows so I know what you are talking about. But I have only worked them as a local stage hand in various departments.
Nonetheless, in this software and my owl local rock shows I just have a bank of X and Y presets for for follow spot functions. And pre-show I remote via WiFi to my PC with my tablet and go on stage to adjust my focus points. Then I save those values to my Macros that also call the shutter, dimmers, colours, and gobos as needed.
Pink LD

Return to General software