Macros in timeline?

create synch shows with video, audio and lights

Macros in timeline?

Postby ConnifBoudoin » 28 May 2019, 20:31

Hello
I have used timeline for a simple project with success, but I am in the middle of Dance Revue season and was considering using timeline for an automated show of one of the Dances. The teacher wants different lights to go on and off at different times within the song but I can't even get to the buttons quick enough to make the change. I created about 10 Macros to get the job done but I still had to press the buttons on beat and on time to the music to make it happen. Not an easy task. After looking at it I don't see a way to add a macro in the timeline. It appears it's not a feature. Does that seem strange? Everything in Show Express is scene and Macro based. Seems to me it would be there. Am I missing it, or is it not there? Is there another way to add Macro info to automate a show rather than having to add every scene that is in my macros to build the dance? My Macros can include 20 scene buttons being pressed. If I have 10 looks to create in the time line that can be 200 scenes created in one timeline or just 10 Macros.

Presently I use Macros to save all color and gobo settings and I have several scenes for all static lighting. Everything is in the Master fader. I turn on front pars, stage pars, and incorporate Macros with all the colors and gobos and i have a view of different looks I can create. All my Macros are just a bunch of scences pressed to create all the colors and gobos for every fixture in my show. Imagine a color and gobo for Sharpies, Chauvets, Colors for LED par cans Truss Warmers and LED Strip lighting. All in Macros. Over 200 programmed Macros. Now I just want to be able to use these in a timeline and activate these macros based on time in the music should be simple but no Macros in the timeline.
Help! Help! Help! First time I have hit a snag in my train of thought and workflows for my jobs. I have an APC mini midi controller that I use sometimes if that can help me get the job done.

Thanks

Connif
ConnifBoudoin

Re: Macros in timeline?

Postby support » 29 May 2019, 06:57

We understand the problem, but we are sorry that TimeLine is not able to play Macro's.
FYI, coding speaking, we do not see any solution for that, without having to redo a big part of the code, which means a new major version.
The Lighting Controller
support
Administrateur

Postby ConnifBoudoin » 29 May 2019, 13:00

Thanks support for the info. Maybe in a future release.

But in the meantime this is what I have come up with. Not as clean but it does work and is not super hard.

The answer is Virtual Dj incorporated with Show Express. I use Virtual DJ for all my playback. It's just an easy app to use and I am comfortable with the controls. What I found is that Show Express in integrated with Virtual DJ (VDJ). It can link easily with OS2L and provide sync for Music to show express. It even has controls to be able to activate any button on a live screen including Macros. The magic is in the Point of interest (POL) in a song that is in VDJ. You can use the built in POI editor to create points of interest that will link and activate any button in Show Express. There is a video on YouTube that explains how to do this. Now your song can run and be synced with the music to launch any Live Button for a Scene, Macro, or Generated Project. Here is a link to the Virtual DJ site with the setup instructions.

https://www.virtualdj.com/forums/201982 ... tLight_etc).html

This is a youtube video with some more of the same if you rather watch then read.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pC4bA3Ioy-g

This is a nice feature. I hope someone else can put it to use. :D :D
Thanks
Connif
ConnifBoudoin

Postby support » 29 May 2019, 21:44

Thank you for this feedback.
The Lighting Controller
support
Administrateur

Return to Live - TimeLine