Scenes Don't Loop on Timeline

create synch shows with video, audio and lights

Scenes Don't Loop on Timeline

Postby jmilkey » 15 June 2017, 05:39

On 8.2.18

Newbie here...
Frustrating night. I can usually figure these things out.
Read the Manual
Watched all the You Tube videos I could find
Searched the Forum
Searched the Web
NOTHING

I must have a fundamental setting wrong or ??????

I am able to add Steps Scene but when I play it I have staggered the Steps Scenes and when I get to a new scene the previous scene Fades Out. That is not what I want.
In the videos I watched the lights should stay on until I add an Off or Stop.

I have tried a hundred different scenes, different orders on the lanes, Different durations, different Fade Times....nothing works. It always acts the same. I have tried different fixtures, reboots, unplugged my Xpress512......sorry if I seem frustrated. This should just work and it does not. As soon as the play head gets to the next scene the last scene shuts off.

If I line up three scenes in a row....only one turns on, my guess is its the one that triggers last...

Any suggestions or help would be appreciated

Thanks.
Jeff
jmilkey

Re: Scenes Don't Loop on Timeline

Postby jmilkey » 16 June 2017, 17:19

Update:
I have some of this working now....
First I updated to Ver. 8. Seems like a nice upgrade. Some nice improvements.

I started over with my Scenes.
I experimented more with the durations. This resulted in me getting more than one fixture to stay on at a time. But I am still experiencing unexpected behavior. For example more than one light turning on for a specific scene.
Another discovery I made is that I had other fixtures turning on with a single scene. Which brought up another question. How do you insure that when you create a scene that you are only controlling a single fixture or set of similar fixtures?

Lastly, adding Off, does not turn off the scene in the Timeline. ??? This seems to be the simplest concept and I don't know why this wouldn't work, unless the Duration takes precedence over Off....but that would make no sense to me at all. You want to universally be able to use scenes and determine the time to shut off that scene based on the Audio it is mapped to for each Timeline you create.

Thanks for any input.
Jeff
jmilkey

Postby Bob_be » 17 June 2017, 01:34

Hi Jeff,

Just to make sure, your not overlapping your scenes in the same Light Scene Timeline, are you? You should have an "Off" tool on a scene before another scene plays on the same Light Scene Timeline.

On your scenes, make sure sure the channels you don't want affected in the scenes, are set to "Disabled". If they have any value, even 0 that value will override a channel that you might have active in another light scene. Example: if scene 1 has light "A" on [value 255]. Then you have scene 2 turn on light "B" but also in that scene you have light "A" set to 0. The 0 value will override you scene 1 value, until scene 2 ends, then scene 1 will take back over for light "A". With the light disabled it won't send a value for the scene. (note: substitute channel for light, technically that's whats being affected.) Right click on the channel and select "Disable Channel" from the pop-up menu.

It's good practice when you create a new scene to use the "New Scene" icon, this will start with a clean slate (all channels disabled).

Also, if you want your lights to instantly make sure your first step, fade option is set to "Snap". When the fade option is set to "Fade" it will start at it's current position (typically 0...but it may be a different value if you have that channel already playing in a different scene) to the value you want for the time specified in step 1.

Hope this helps.

Bob
Bob_be

Postby jmilkey » 18 June 2017, 18:05

Bob.

Thank you so much...you were completely correct and fixed my problem!!

This software works a specific way and I was not aware. Reset by starting clean with a new scene did the trick everything works now as advertised....I was going crazy since the scenes were actually cumulative and all sorts of things were unexpectedly happening. Makes total sense now. Now if I can figure out how to cross fade in the timeline I will be golden. The fade out property does not appear to work when used with an OFF. I wish I could just drag the end of the loop to define when I want the light to fade out.

You took time to help me out.....really appreciate that.

Jeff
jmilkey

Postby Bob_be » 18 June 2017, 21:30

Hi Jeff,

Thank you for the kinds words. Please explain what you are trying to do with "Cross Fade"? You might want to use the "Fade" (not Snap) for your first step. You might have to save a new scene to just for that effect.

Bob
Bob_be

Postby JohnRichards » 19 June 2017, 07:38

Hi Jeff,
When you want a "crossfade", are you talking about the scene changing say from blue to red. If this is so, do not use the "off", but within the same time line the first scene is blue and you will put the red scene at the point that you wish it to change.
John
JohnRichards

Return to Live - TimeLine