Buttons not working in different ways...

create pages with buttons to trigger scenes

Buttons not working in different ways...

Postby Snuffy » 18 September 2019, 15:47

Hi

New to this so please bare with.

Set up a show on my Mac using the Xpress-512plus, plugged in some old LED battens and two new VPar Paks by ADJ.

Using Steps and Generator everything is fine and works exactly as I would expect it too, for both fixture types. Full control etc. But once I save the .gpj files, and then try to add them to a button, I come unstuck. The button for the VPar Paks works, in that it brings on the lights in the right colours with the correct strobe, but they don't dim as instructed, it's as if the dimmer info hasn't been included. The LED battens don't come on at all when I make a button for them.

If I right click on the buttons and click Edit, I'm taken to the Generator with the lights playing in the correct manner, exactly as I programmed them to do. This goes for both types of fixture, VPar Paks and LED battens. I have the same issue when I put the .gpj files into a timeline.

Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Snuffy

Re: Buttons not working in different ways...

Postby support » 18 September 2019, 17:08

Welcome.
Usually, the reason of this problem is: https://thelightingcontroller.com/viewt ... =72&t=3614
Please check that, and let us know.
The Lighting Controller
support
Administrateur

Postby Snuffy » 19 September 2019, 09:50

Thanks for the help support!

This now sort of works, it's a bit wonky, but sorta works... I had to: right click on the Button, hit Edit, then from the Generator tab, click into the Steps tab, and then Disable every channel, not just the ones that weren't in use.

The strobe / shutter info is all over the place, and there is a delay from when you click to the lights coming on, but it's better than nothing, thank you!
Snuffy

Postby Bob_be » 19 September 2019, 13:49

One thing to keep in mind, is the "Editor" will override the "Live" tab. When testing buttons, in Live, it's best to turn off DMX, or 3D View, in Editor before going to the Live tab.
Bob_be

Postby Snuffy » 19 September 2019, 13:56

Thanks Bob, good to know.

Follow on question... for anyone... and this will help me get a little more insight...

When looking at the battens in the Step page, i can fade up the lights using the dimmer and a colour. When I then do a gradual fade up using the same channels / faders in the Generator, using curves etc, the batten starts doing a bit of a random chase through the cells, but using the correct colour, and roughly following the correct fade.

Is this another issue with channels or a known issue with the software? Or is this something fixture specific? It appears to be only affecting one fixture at the moment. Asking now before i start swapping fixtures about etc.

Again, any info is greatly appreciated.
Snuffy

Postby Snuffy » 23 September 2019, 09:55

This appears to be a DMX or signal issue.

To update, the random cell chase when fading / dimming with the Generator was only happening on one batten, the other was behaving as expected. When I physically swap the fixtures around, the the random cell chase when fading / dimming is now on the other fixture! So I'm guessing it's the DMX info being sent to those channels / addresses?

Both battens / addresses / channels are getting their instructions from the same .gpj file though?

Any insights from anyone?
Snuffy

Postby Snuffy » 23 September 2019, 10:28

Ah, after some more experimentation, it looks like the problem was possibly due to how i had the .gpj set up. I was trying to mix the amount of red and blue in the curves. If I just have a constant purple colour with no curves in the colour, it now works.

Not ideal, I don't have the control I'm looking for, but it is a work around.
Snuffy

Postby Snuffy » 23 September 2019, 10:57

After some more experimentation again... triggering certain .gpj on the VPar Paks sends some of the batten fixtures into a cell chase.

Can anybody give me any insight into this?
Snuffy

Return to Live - Buttons