I just had an RGB brainstorm!

create pages with buttons to trigger scenes

I just had an RGB brainstorm!

Postby Detour DJ » 25 May 2017, 19:41

I'm not sure if this is possible or if it's been suggested before, but it would be AWESOME!!! Right now, we have the ability to employ up to 8 sliders for control of dimming or speed in the Master section. Can those sliders be designed as RGB or CMY spectrum sliders mapped to specific RGB/CMY fixtures' color channels and fade from red through oranges, yellows, greens, blues, and magentas? This would allow massive control very quickly and easily. If it could be done, could the master slider positions change automatically based on what the current RGB/CMY settings are for those fixtures (chosen from other buttons or macros)? In other words, if you have a button that selects red as the color for the selected fixtures, the master RGB/CMY slider for those fixtures will move to the red position. That way, if you want to dial them to something a little more orange, you could move the master RGB/CMY slider a little and the colors wouldn't "jump". The master slider would already be at the selected color and you could adjust from there. I know this can be done by opening Editor, selecting the RGB/CMY tab, selecting fixtures, and then using a mouse to select a color, but that's cumbersome. A master RGB/CMY slider, already mapped to certain fixtures and on the Live page, would be a MUCH quicker and slicker way to make subtle color changes. Thanks for listening and keep up the GREAT work!
Larz Hanson
Owner-Operator
Detour DJ, Sound & Lighting
7431 Frontage Road NW
Cleveland, TN 37312
(423) 432-3489
DetourDJ@gmail.com
http://www.DetourDJ.com
Detour DJ

Re: I just had an RGB brainstorm!

Postby samwise309 » 01 June 2017, 14:46

You can assign master faders to just controller RGB, but no they wont automatically adjust. Or you can hard patch channels to a midi fader from the fixtures menu, I think. I've had a different work around for this before, so I can control exact color changes if I want to. Ill use an RGB fixture as an example. In STEPS editor, pick one of your colors; we'll go with red for now. Make the red slider all the way down at 0 for the first step. Then, add another step, and make the red value all the way up at 255. Make sure that the channel is set to FADE and not SNAP. Then, make the whole scene time 0, this will automatically make both steps something like .10 seconds, I think this is the minimum they will go. In LIVE, add your scene to a page and right click on it. I don't have my xpress laptop with me now but I believe the correct option to choose is 'Fader Slider.' You can manually drag the fader that now appears on that scene button or assign it to a physical fader on a midi controller, and you're there. You should now be able to control the red attribute on the fly with that fader.
samwise309

Re: I just had an RGB brainstorm!

Postby Detour DJ » 01 June 2017, 19:12

Good reply, Sam! From time to time, I have some interesting ideas for improving ShowX and I blurt them out here. I'm tickled that one of my ideas actually made it in the code a while back! Since running a lightshow is often live and in real time, I'm always trying to find ways to speed workflow. The concept of a "smart" RGB master fader seemed nice, and now I've gone even a step further. How about this:
unnamed.png
unnamed.png (1.66 KiB) Viewed 6899 times

Instead of a virtual fader, how about being able to assign any of the zones where the master faders now reside as RGB or CMY touch boxes and assign them to specific fixtures' RGB or CMY channels? I would hope it's not that hard to code in, since RGB parameters are easily defined. The CMY option might be different since CMY works opposite, but that's a simple math issue. Maybe start with RGB as that's much more prevalent, then add CMY later. In use, the operator would just touch or click the desired color, or even drag a touch or mouse cursor around for an interesting and quick color change.

Additional note: As I think about it, the image I've included and concept really only covers up to 2 of the RGB colors at a time, and with one color always at full intensity: R, R+G, G, G+B, B, and B+R, with the 2-color mixes in various combinations. This isn't a bad thing, and it wouldn't be hard to code the math mapping it. It would still be VERY useful in fairly simple settings such as band or club lighting. But admittedly, a full 3-color map accessing ALL the possible RGB colors would require a different image and much more math.
Last edited by Detour DJ on 27 June 2017, 19:20, edited 1 time in total.
Larz Hanson
Owner-Operator
Detour DJ, Sound & Lighting
7431 Frontage Road NW
Cleveland, TN 37312
(423) 432-3489
DetourDJ@gmail.com
http://www.DetourDJ.com
Detour DJ

Re: Affect a Fader Slider or Preset Slider to midi control

Postby alainu » 12 June 2017, 20:29

Hello,

You say this in you post >> You can manually drag the fader that now appears on that scene button or assign it to a physical fader on a midi controller, and you're there. You should now be able to control the red attribute on the fly with that fader.<<

I have just a question to you

How can affect the Fader slider to a control midi ,
I can affect the button but no the slider into the button
and when I have lot off Button in a page the slider are very small and it's to difficult to take with my mouse.
If you have the solution , I want to know that please.
Excuse me, I'm french and my english langage is not very good but I hope you understand what I say.

Thanks a lot, Alain U
alainu

Return to Live - Buttons