[request] Button Triggers - Midi Notes - Velocity

create pages with buttons to trigger scenes

[request] Button Triggers - Midi Notes - Velocity

Postby ryvanz » 26 May 2016, 20:46

I use midi from Cubase to trigger my scenes in ShowXpress. Alot of these scenes are static scenes that are single fixture, only dimmer with a single value.

ie:

Scene 1 = Fixture 1, Dimmer 100%
Scene 2 = Fixture 1, Dimmer 75%
Scene 3 = Fixture 1, Dimmer 50%
Scene 4 - Fixture 1, DImmer 25%
etc ...

If it were possible to utilize velocity data from the incoming notes, I could cut down four of the scenes above into a single scene, and just use the velocity data to control the desired brightness of the dimmer.

ie:
Velocity 0 = Dimmer 0
Velocity 64 = DImmer 50%
Velocity 127 = Dimmer 100%

Is there any chance it might be possible to create this option?

Thanks in advance!
Ryan
ryvanz

Re: [Feature Request] - Button Triggers - Midi Notes - Veloc

Postby support » 26 May 2016, 21:37

"Midi Velocity" can not be used with a button, but in can be used with a dmx channel.
In the "Patch for Midi" window, you have to patch the midi note to the dmx channels.
The Lighting Controller
support
Administrateur

Re: [request] Button Triggers - Midi Notes - Velocity

Postby Niffo » 27 May 2016, 06:17

Did you try with a button in "Fader" mode ? (you must send a "Control Change" message and not a "Note" message)
Niffo
Administrateur

Postby ryvanz » 28 May 2016, 14:58

Niffo wrote:Did you try with a button in "Fader" mode ? (you must send a "Control Change" message and not a "Note" message)

Yes I'm using CC messages with fader buttons as well, but I'm using them primarily for ramping dimmers up and down.

I like the idea of using velocity for note buttons because it allows me to quickly edit the midi while also freeing up a whole lot of midi bandwidth for other buttons.
ryvanz

Postby anthonygpero » 29 November 2016, 16:43

It sounds like Support's solution is the answer for me... but I'm not finding "Patch for Midi" anywhere in the documentation or interface on either Windows or Mac.

I'm wanting to control individual DMX channels from my DAW, so I don't have to use the ShowXpress Live interface. Having Velocity and other Midi parameters mapped to DMX channels would be an ideal solution.

I'm guessing Editor > Fixtures > Menu > Fixtures MIDI Input is what I'm wanting, but there's no documentation about how to use it with a DAW. There's a LEARN button, which I'm assuming allows you to map controls to a MIDI controller's sliders and buttons, but there's no way to directly input the MIDI CC messages I want to use, or what the format should be, or anything.

Help using this feature would be awesome, I have a Christmas show I'm lighting December 18th. Everything is to track, and I'd prefer to use MIDI to program it to the music, rather than creating 500 scenes in ShowXpress and triggering them. It would be far simpler to just be able to access each DMX channel from the DAW to accomplish what I want.
anthonygpero

Postby support » 29 November 2016, 16:54

there's no way to directly input the MIDI CC messages I want to use

No there is not.

The only way is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vX3cHwX_Qsk
The Lighting Controller
support
Administrateur

Postby anthonygpero » 29 November 2016, 18:51

Ok, thank you for the response. I was able to get Velocity on Note 0 from my DAW to control the CH8 (which is assigned to the Dimmer) on one of my lights. I see it adjusting the DMX graph level for DMX Ch 8 on the DMX Levels window... but its not dimming the light in 3DView. Does 3DView not respond to "Fixtures MIDI Input"?
anthonygpero

Return to Live - Buttons