Ghost DMX triggering and other V-7 anomalies

create pages with buttons to trigger scenes

Ghost DMX triggering and other V-7 anomalies

Postby SWFL LD » 24 July 2014, 07:15

Since updating to V-7 I've noticed some very strange behavior from the live "tab".
- Erroneous DMX channels being triggered from certain scenes, EX: I trigger BLUE which ONLY all my LED pars go blue however, channels 5, 6 and 7 max at 255 which are some of my front pars. This does not show in the "steps" editor tab when I open "ALL LED BLUE".
I tried creating a new blue LED scene and naming it something else like "CONGO" and still, my stage left front pars go full.
Some of my RGB LED Pars (EZ PAR 64) will go full white (lowest 2 addressed pars in each group) a few others will go black or strobe.
These triggered channels are invisible in the editor. They show as de-activated (red) or off as they should but are visable in the 3D visualizer and the DMX output window.
When I installed V-7 I created a new folder "ShowXpress V7" Computer>C:/Program Files/ShowXpress V7.
I do this for every upgrade so I can fall back to a previous version if I feel the need to and this usually clears up small issues but not this time.
I get the same problems with V6.33, 6.32 and 6.31 which were never there before upgrading to 7.

I am by no means a newbee at this software or lighting.
I manage lighting systems for 4 clubs, a bowling center, 2 production companies and 3 touring bands, been working with this software since it's introduction and have programmed with every version and beta.
Normally I would chalk this experience up to a bad install, but 3 system I have updated so far have exhibited this same behavior.
My most recent system started with V-7 from scratch. All scenes were programmed with 7 and it's acting the same as systems where the bulk of scene programming was done by V6.
3 different hardware interfaces were tried with no difference.
I haven't received any complaints yet, but they will come so I an asking for some help to keep my clients :D
My remaining systems will stay with 6.33 for now.
ShowXpress V7 3 screens 2.jpg
SWFL LD

Re: Ghost DMX triggering and other V-7 anomalies

Postby support » 24 July 2014, 07:38

Can you please tell us what is your dmx interface ?

FYI, we recently found a similar bug with "old" interfaces (viewtopic.php?f=75&t=3181).
The Lighting Controller
support
Administrateur

Postby SWFL LD » 24 July 2014, 16:59

The one I use the most is the X-Factor.
The newer gen hardware with a DMX input has jumped out of my client's (and my) price ranges and budgets so I've been buying earlier versions through sites like ebay and craigslist.
I need the DMX input for dimming consoles.
These issues are also on another system and it's using the 1st gen rackmount and has a 48ch dimming console on the DMX in.
That system is running win XP and was originally programmed with V5 and I had to convert those files when I upgraded to V6 (I lost all of my group assignments in editor when I converted) but the fore mentioned problems didn't start until upgrading to V7.
Like I mentioned, you can see the ghost channels on stage, in the 3D and DMX output windows, but not in the editor.
Would you like the show files?
Thank you for the help.
Love this product.
It's been near flawless til now.
SWFL LD

Postby SWFL LD » 24 July 2014, 17:15

Yes,
viewtopic.php?f=75&t=3181).
appears to be the same issue.
I didn't research it as in-depth as the other user, but it would explain a lot.
The channels I'm having issues with are 5-40.
If this is hardware related, how can it show in the software? weird.
Ok, I have 7 systems to upgrade and fix issue after upgrading.
Is there a new driver, or an easier way to apply the "fix"?
Looks time consuming X7.
Thanks
SWFL LD

Postby support » 24 July 2014, 21:07

We will release shortly a new V7, that fixes this problem.
The Lighting Controller
support
Administrateur

Postby SWFL LD » 25 July 2014, 05:08

My windows folder mod date is 6-26-14, but my issues are the same as PINK LD's.
I should copy and replace the efk_hardware.dll in my C:/Program Files/ShowXpress V7 folder?
If so, that's easy.
SWFL LD

Postby support » 25 July 2014, 09:11

Yes, you can do that.

Alternatively, you can install the latest complete software (7.1.5), which has the fixed dll file.
The Lighting Controller
support
Administrateur

Postby Pink LD » 25 July 2014, 16:22

Yep. I am running the fix right now but I have 7.1.5 downloaded on my phone and will update my show PCs later today.
Pink LD

Postby SWFL LD » 06 August 2014, 05:46

After trying both the patch file and 7.1.5 on a fresh install there still seems to be issues with 1 of my clients.
2013 Gateway notebook PC, Win 7, X-Factor hardware.
- There is this intermittent pop of full on (all chs flash 255 .01 sec).
- Some (maybe 4) channels seem to be linked together still.
- Very difficult to create my own fixture profile.
- IP/TCP Read Error, Can't connect tablet, No anti-virus software running, firewall was disabled and connected directly to router (no security enabled) via Ethernet (cat 5-E) cable.
- When I start any V6, I cant turn on DMX/3D in live or builder even after un-installing 7.
- Tried un-installing both versions, then re-installing 6.33, still cant turn on DMX/3D in live or builder.

I installed 4 new movers on this system today and spent 2 hours strictly on attempting to correct control issues instead of programming.
Forgive me but V7 seems to have corrupted something in this machine. Worked fine for 6 months before updating and I feel its because I'm using 1st gen hardware.

For now, I would like to return this machine to a clean 6.33. It's the best of what I call the "2nd gen". It has served me well and works better with older hardware.
To do this, I will need to completely remove V7 and all of its relative components
What are the default locations for ShowXpress files that are NOT removed when the program is un-installed?
Will I also need to remove the drivers and DLL files?
Thanks in advance for the help.
SWFL LD

Postby support » 06 August 2014, 10:20

The only folder/files which are not removed with uninstall process is the folder "TheLightingController", located in the home directory (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Home_directory). Caution: if you remove it, you will loose all your lightshows.

There is no dll stored somewhere else.

Drivers are same for V6 and V7.
The Lighting Controller
support
Administrateur

Next

Return to Live - Buttons