[Request] Support for more than 6 universes

create scenes for multi-RGB channels fixtures

[Request] Support for more than 6 universes

Postby SeekLighting » 03 April 2017, 02:34

Hi Support

I've been an avid user of ShowXpress for some time now. Love the product, but as I've been getting pretty heavily into pixel mapping lately, the 6 universe limit is somewhat of a problem. Would you ever consider opening that limit up to a greater number (16 universes perhaps)? Obviously new DMX512 interfaces would need to be purchased
SeekLighting

Re: [Request] Support for more than 6 universes

Postby support » 03 April 2017, 17:00

To be honnest, we do not think that Pixels is made for so many channels.
16 universes mean an RGB screen resolution of 70x40 pixels. Such resolution should require more video effect than basic gif effects, and Pixels is not able to manage video effects.
The Lighting Controller
support
Administrateur

Postby BartKrap » 03 April 2017, 18:07

support wrote:To be honnest, we do not think that Pixels is made for so many channels.
16 universes mean an RGB screen resolution of 70x40 pixels. Such resolution should require more video effect than basic gif effects, and Pixels is not able to manage video effects.

I've used more than 6 universes on a morphing pixel screen before (not with your software) with 80 adj pocket Z4's. That in combination with other moving fixtures will absolutely eat dmx channels.
Also moving heads with 20+ channels or pars with 4 (or more) controllable diodes are becoming way cheaper these days so this is definitly a +1.

Now this upgrade will take a lot of programming and will take your program up to a more production level which it really isn't ready for (sorry for saying that). You'll need a better effects generator for that (not the movement and dimmer kind but a really advanced one (look at cuelux pro for a great example)).

I'm not saying upgrade to 16 universes the next software release. But maybe start allowing people who have 6 dongles to use 6 universes of dmx AND 6 universes of artnet for 12 universes total for example.
Head of lighting, lighting designer and lighting operater at De Zoom and Pinky's in Renesse and Ron van der Veen Entertainment.
BartKrap

Postby SeekLighting » 03 April 2017, 22:56

BartKrap wrote:
I'm not saying upgrade to 16 universes the next software release. But maybe start allowing people who have 6 dongles to use 6 universes of dmx AND 6 universes of artnet for 12 universes total for example.

+1 to this. Great idea. 6 dongles = 6 dmx universes + 6 artnet universes = total of 12 universes.
SeekLighting

Postby BartKrap » 04 April 2017, 12:38

TimH wrote:
BartKrap wrote:

+1 to this. Great idea. 6 dongles = 6 dmx universes + 6 artnet universes = total of 12 universes.

Yeah, at this point having more than 3 dongles per show has no point since you're always limited to 6 universes max.
Head of lighting, lighting designer and lighting operater at De Zoom and Pinky's in Renesse and Ron van der Veen Entertainment.
BartKrap

Return to Pixels