Too much midi messages crash ControlBoard [fixed]

post here topics for Windows only

Too much midi messages crash ControlBoard [fixed]

Postby ZenRocker » 16 December 2010, 07:08

I've been working on this for a week now... HELP!!

Setup:
Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
HP Pavilion dv7 Laptop - Intel i5/8GB RAM/ 1 GB ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5650 dedicated video card
Chauvet X-Factor DMX interface (USB powered) - seperate USB bus
M-Audio Fast Track Ultra USB audio Interface - seperate USB bus
ShowXpress 6.25 (including current windows Fix)
Cakwalk Sonar Professional 8.5.3

Usage:
Using Cakewalk Sonar files to control ShowXpress via MIDI linked with LoopBe1 virtual MIDI driver. I've used this combination for our shows for the past year on an older Compaq running XP with no problems whatsoever (Running Sonar 6 and ShowXpress 5-something). That computer is done with so I've upgraded.

Problem:
While playing through song files in Sonar, thus triggering MIDI to ShowXpress, I get ControlBoard.exe APPCRASH errors. Sometimes I can go 1/2 hour. Sometimes not even one song.

Here's the complete error - - - - - - - - -

Faulting application name: ControlBoard.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x4cacade1
Faulting module name: ControlBoard.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x4cacade1
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x00034cce
Faulting process id: 0xa38
Faulting application start time: 0x01cb9cda6a724e2f
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\ShowXpress\ControlBoard.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files\ShowXpress\ControlBoard.exe
Report Id: e1da7893-08d0-11e0-b73a-b4b8e74cf298

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Exception code is always the same: 0xc0000005

Through msconfig, I've disabled AVG Antivirus, as well as many other services and programs.
In device manager, I've disabled the wireless networking device as well as the internal audio devices (analog mic/speakers & HDMI audio device)

I've disabled Windows firewall and disabled DEP for ControlBoard, Live and ScreenControl...

Nothing has stopped the problem... I'm am at a loss... A beast of a laptop and I'm stuck...

Am I missing something??

TIA
Patrick

BTW, I'm using the 1.04 drivers for BOX x64, but when I look in Device Manager at the properties, then driver details, windows states EFKusb.sys is NOT signed.

I deleted all instances of it to reinstall the driver and after I point to the folder with the downloaded Digitally signed drivers to install it, a pop-up shows up and asks if I want to install drivers that are not signed... I say yes, it installs, the Box shows up in USB portion of Device Manager, working, ControlBoard sees it... Still, when I check properties, Windows states it's not signed.

And I still get APPCRASHes

What's up with that?
Last edited by ZenRocker on 16 December 2010, 08:13, edited 1 time in total.
ZenRocker

Re: HELP!! ControlBoard.exe APPCRASH

Postby support » 16 December 2010, 08:29

Could you please confirm that ControlBoard does not crash, when you do not play Sonar files (means no Midi messages sent to ControlBoard) ?
(if yes, we can consider that the problem comes from Midi messages which cause ControlBoard crash).

If yes, could you make some tests with different Sonar files which send more or less "note on" and "note off" messages ?
(we do not have Sonar software ; may be it sends too much Midi messages, in a too short time, to ControlBoard ?)
The Lighting Controller
support
Administrateur

Postby support » 16 December 2010, 10:20

Would it be possible for you to send us the file, which cause the ControlBoard crash, as MID format ?
The Lighting Controller
support
Administrateur

Postby ZenRocker » 16 December 2010, 19:35

THANK YOU for the really fast reply. It was 2am here in the states, so I looked into it a little bit (til 4am). I am doing testing today.

BTW, it was never one specific file. Sonar has a PLAYLIST feature to call up songs and the crash would happen at odd times - never the same place in any same song.

BUT, you may be on to something. Too much MIDI data. Though the midi I send to it is single note on/offs, no more than 1/8th notes in time - not a lot by any means (no aftercontrol or anything like that either). And it's set up to be single button operation in LIVE - so defintely only one note at a time. BUT, in watching the MIDI data in the DMX/MIDI setting off of controlboard, I saw a LOT of data, even when there was a very small amount of MIDI notes being sent. Many of the songs had TRANSMIT MIDI TIME CODE being sent at 30fps... A constant stream. I DO need to have the MTC ports in Sonar open, but apparently I don't need the fps setting to run, so I turned it off on each file. Stopped the constant stream of MIDI data. Will let you know later today. Crossing my fingers!

Thanks again!!!
Patrick
ZenRocker

Postby ZenRocker » 17 December 2010, 05:56

That was it!! MIDI TIME CODE being sent at 30 fps must have been overloading the buffer/memory/whatever it does! I guess either Win 7/XP or ShowXpress v5/v6 or Sonar v6/v8 handle it different because it was the same settings as my old machine... It's a good thing I don't need it!

It worked all day through testing and full show rehearsal. :)

Thank you so much for your fast reply and for your help (and right question)!!
Peace,
Patrick
ZenRocker

Re: Too much midi messages crash ControlBoard [fixed]

Postby support » 17 December 2010, 08:23

Happy to see your problem is fixed :) .
The Lighting Controller
support
Administrateur

Return to Windows