Windows 7 laptop and separate touchscreen monitor?

post here topics for Windows only

Windows 7 laptop and separate touchscreen monitor?

Postby Detour DJ » 03 August 2013, 03:18

Hi all,
I'm currently running ShowXpress on an HP Windows 7 laptop. The program works fine and is a joy to use, though my live screen has hundreds of button options and using a mouse can sometimes get tedious. I'm thinking of attaching a separate touchscreen monitor to the laptop to handle the Live page more quickly, while the laptop's screen can host the editor screen for special uses. Anything I should be aware of that might keep a touchscreen monitor from working well with the Live page? Thanks for any tips and advice in advance.

Larz
Larz Hanson
Owner-Operator
Detour DJ, Sound & Lighting
7431 Frontage Road NW
Cleveland, TN 37312
(423) 432-3489
DetourDJ@gmail.com
http://www.DetourDJ.com
Detour DJ

Re: Windows 7 laptop and separate touchscreen monitor?

Postby marco » 03 August 2013, 07:06

I use a touchscreen for 4 years
Works great for pushing buttons
Disadvantage getting speed/step into menu changes is near to inpossible u need the mouse for this
If the slider would be bigger or had a zoom funtion on touch it would be better

For editor a advice the laptopscreen with mouse
marco

Postby Detour DJ » 03 August 2013, 14:53

Thanks Marco. That's exactly what I was hoping to hear! All I want the touchscreen for is to select buttons on the Live page, so if it works well with W7 I'll be tickled.

Larz
Larz Hanson
Owner-Operator
7431 Frontage Road NW
Cleveland, TN 37312
(423) 432-3489
DetourDJ@gmail.com
Detour DJ

Postby Detour DJ » 04 August 2013, 15:56

After speaking with a computer nerd kid at a local electronics shop, he confirmed that a touchscreen designed for W7 should work fine without any special drivers. Although he was wrong about one thing (he said the touchscreen would only need the HDMI connection, but it actually needs the USB connection too to access the touch interface), I decided to take a chance on a Planar PXL2230 and ordered one. Wish me luck!

If it works the way I want it to, my Live screen actions will be WAY faster. My "big" lighting rig includes (16) moving heads, (4) Blizzard Snowbank fixtures, (4) Chauvet 4Bar Tri's, (2) RGB lasers, (4) Chauvet Vue 6's and a couple Freedom Pars. The main Live page has (8) subpages, (4) for the movers, one for the Snowbanks, one for the 4Bar Tri's & Freedom Pars, one for the lasers and Vue 6's, and one for master scenes/effects. Using a mouse, a complicated lighting change can take 4-5 seconds or more. A touchscreen could do the same task in 1-2 seconds!
Larz Hanson
Owner-Operator
7431 Frontage Road NW
Cleveland, TN 37312
(423) 432-3489
DetourDJ@gmail.com
Detour DJ

Postby Detour DJ » 24 October 2013, 17:28

Just a quick update: The new touchscreen works well, though it took a little time to figure out how to calibrate it. Not the screen's fault...I was told a simple HDMI connection should provide audio and touchscreen functions. It doesn't. A separate USB cable to the screen provides the touch connection. Then, I also had to adjust the video overscan setting in the laptop to line up the buttons on the screen with the touch calibration. Not bad though...just a little head scratching for a while, but I got there.

The sad part is that I did this for touch capability because I couldn't get my iPad to sync up with Live using the Live Remote app, but I finally figured out what was needed there and the Live Remote is working great now. So, I'm scaling the rig down to a Mac (I hate Windows anyway) and my iPad, and I wasted money on the beautiful Planar screen designed only for W7 (for touch capability) that I'll have no other use for. Oh well...maybe I'll just hook it up to the home computer and let the grandkids use it. Being a touchscreen, even if not using that function, maybe it will last longer than a typical screen as the kids put their snotty fingers on it... ;)
Larz Hanson
Owner-Operator
7431 Frontage Road NW
Cleveland, TN 37312
(423) 432-3489
DetourDJ@gmail.com
Detour DJ

Postby support » 25 October 2013, 13:36

Thank you for this update.
The Lighting Controller
support
Administrateur

Return to Windows