DMX channel display

create scenes with steps

DMX channel display

Postby Luc Henrion » 19 November 2018, 15:55

I know that, since v8, the "Steps" is based on fixtures, not on channels.
Yet, it might sometomes be interesting to know what DMX channel you are working on. Could we have the option to display them exactly the same way we are able to display the value?
An example: yesterday, I had to perform a very simple preliminary setup before a show, just a bit of light in the hall to help the audience coming in. Another guy would come later for the real performance - relatively complex: about 250 channels in use.
But since I had no idea of the DMX addresses used, I had to try each one... The problem is that I have a personal config where there are some unused DMX channels... so I had to move some "virtual" fixtures to fill the gaps, and go back to steps edit... Time consuming, and without really knowing what I was doing. I finally discovere that I had to open channels 19, 22 & 38... But after a lot of going from "fixtures" settings back to "steps" and reverse.
A display of the DMX channels in the "steps" windows would probably make this kind of task much more simple...

BTW: I think there is a minor bug in the "steps" windosw, Well, not really a bug but when you enter a (forbidden...) value above 255, the result is very erratic (16, 232... anything !) I prefer to be able to enter for example "10000" and get 255... 8-)
Luc Henrion

Re: DMX channel display

Postby support » 19 November 2018, 19:15

The dmx address checking has to be done in the "DMX bargraph" window.
However we agree this window has to be improved (bigger with more readability for the address and the level).
This is in our ToDo list.

Thank you for the reported bug.
Noted in the ToDo list as well.
The Lighting Controller
support
Administrateur

Postby Luc Henrion » 19 November 2018, 19:38

Thanks, indeed I was not considering this window... But I'm sorry, looking at it, I think I have to report another bug ! :oops:
When I select a "new scene", that should be empty by default, in my setup all levels are not at zero: 1 to 10 are at 100%, 11 at 50%, and so on... while of course it isn't true: in the "steps" window, everything is at zero... ???
And, yes, this window could certainly be improved in terms of readability 8-)
If possible, make it resizeable and "zoomable" (i.e. no need to display 512 channels if I know I only need 100...)
Luc Henrion

Postby support » 20 November 2018, 08:59

When I select a "new scene", that should be empty by default, in my setup all levels are not at zero: 1 to 10 are at 100%, 11 at 50%, and so on... while of course it isn't true: in the "steps" window, everything is at zero... ???

Please try with a complete new lightshow, and tell us if still same problem.

Noted for the "DMX bargraph" window.
The Lighting Controller
support
Administrateur

Postby Luc Henrion » 20 November 2018, 11:45

:oops:
Indeed, there was a dozen channels at 100% by default in the Live window, sorry...
But... this opens still another question !!! (sorry again...)
I would like to have an option to make all "live" settings inactive when opening the software. Similar to the automatic "blackout" you have on many consoles when powering on. Or is this already available somewhere ?
I know that you can choose to have "DMX on" or not in the "live" settings, but it's not exactly the same... DMX "on" but all buttons inactive would be better IMHO
Luc Henrion

Postby support » 20 November 2018, 14:38

option to make all "live" settings inactive when opening the software

Please open a new thread for that, in section "Live - Buttons".
The Lighting Controller
support
Administrateur

Postby BartKrap » 24 November 2018, 23:06

Luc Henrion wrote::oops:
Indeed, there was a dozen channels at 100% by default in the Live window, sorry...
But... this opens still another question !!! (sorry again...)
I would like to have an option to make all "live" settings inactive when opening the software. Similar to the automatic "blackout" you have on many consoles when powering on. Or is this already available somewhere ?
I know that you can choose to have "DMX on" or not in the "live" settings, but it's not exactly the same... DMX "on" but all buttons inactive would be better IMHO

Under "Live settings" deselect "DMX On at launch" that shoud disable any output from the live page on startup. Also, if you don't have any scenes selected as "Auto start" no scenes should automatically start on first boot.
Head of lighting, lighting designer and lighting operater at De Zoom and Pinky's in Renesse and Ron van der Veen Entertainment.
BartKrap

Postby Luc Henrion » 25 November 2018, 11:08

As I wrote:
I know that you can choose to have "DMX on" or not in the "live" settings, but it's not exactly the same.

And when you have many pages, it's easy to forget an "auto start"scene somwhere...
Luc Henrion

Postby support » 31 January 2019, 09:00

BTW: I think there is a minor bug in the "steps" windosw, Well, not really a bug but when you enter a (forbidden...) value above 255, the result is very erratic (16, 232... anything !) I prefer to be able to enter for example "10000" and get 255..

Fixed in the fix for V9.1.12.
The Lighting Controller
support
Administrateur

Return to Editor - Steps