Multiple Scenes Stacked to form one scene [fixed]

create scenes with steps

Multiple Scenes Stacked to form one scene [fixed]

Postby Tomlin » 28 March 2017, 13:54

I'm not sure if this is possible (actually I'm pretty sure it is NOT possible in the current version of ShowXpress) but if it is, please let me know where I can find this or how to do it.

What I'd like to be able to do is to have multiple scenes created, much like how you have the Live page buttons set up for multiple effects, but be able to merge these into an actual scene.

For example, to create a set of moving head scenes. Maybe you'd have the movers move in a fan motion, and then create that in a variety of colors. Then to the same with downlighting, all in a variety of colors. Then have other lights maybe slowly pulsing on and off. All of this can be created, and combined, on the Live page.

But, what if you you take and somehow drag and drop these various scenes into a step editor, pre-made, so that you create a sing scene that would then be able to be placed into the Sequential List function?

In other words, it'd almost be like a macro, but the macro would be saved as a scene. Is this possible now or in an update?

Thanks.
Eric Tomlin
Production Director
Bridge Community Church
Tomlin

Re: Multiple Scenes Stacked to form one scene

Postby support » 28 March 2017, 14:54

Sorry but it is not possible to convert a Macro into a scene.

However, if you really need to convert some scenes into one, please read this: viewtopic.php?f=70&t=4367
But keep in mind that, once the conversion is done, the purity of the scene (especially for Generator & Pixels) is lost.

Please note also that there is no limit for Macros.
The Lighting Controller
support
Administrateur

Postby Tomlin » 28 March 2017, 15:07

Thanks! I will look into what you suggest.

However, could there be a consideration for this in a future update? The ability to drag and drop multiple scenes that have their own steps already saved as a scene separately, yet then have multiple scenes running together simultaneously. You might add a tab called "Scene Compiler". It then gives the option to drag in or load multiple scenes, each with their own time as they are now, but each scene would run together when compiled. Think of each scene like a lego block. Now you have four of them, and you have one that's red, one blue, one moving, and one flashing. Once compiled they all work together (and the software would not allow the same fixtures to be mixed- only when a scene contains discrete fixtures would it work).

scene 1- For example, I have a scene of moving heads doing a wave type motion
scene 2- Uplighting megabars are pulsing white light
scene 3- down lighting is steady blue
scene 4- Moving gobos are spinning

All four scenes use discrete fixtures, but then are merged to make one scene, each sub-scene having their own timing.

IMO, this would take ShowXpress to the next level and would make it incredible.
Eric Tomlin
Production Director
Bridge Community Church
Tomlin

Postby Tomlin » 28 March 2017, 16:36

I just followed the link you gave and while I've only tried it in the 3D viewer and not real-life, it's perfect for allowing me to add other items to a generated scene. Thank you a million times for this!
Eric Tomlin
Production Director
Bridge Community Church
Tomlin

Postby support » 29 March 2017, 07:54

Please keep in mind that, generating a scene is "destructive". This means the result will not be as accurate as if you play all original scenes together.
This is why we do not push for this concept, and we prefer to advise using Macros (all sub-scenes can stay in hidden pages).
Another key point with Macros is, if you modify an original scene, the Macros will be automatically updated.
The Lighting Controller
support
Administrateur

Re: Multiple Scenes Stacked to form one scene [fixed]

Postby Tomlin » 29 March 2017, 13:04

The only issue for me is that Macros cannot be used in Sequential List function. This is paramount for building a proper scripted show. The only thing I've done so far with generator is to create a moving light generator file, converted it to a scene file as directed, and then added other fixtures to the scene and then placed in Sequential List. I do not use Generator for any non-moving fixtures.
Eric Tomlin
Production Director
Bridge Community Church
Tomlin

Postby support » 29 March 2017, 13:54

It is possible to create Macros in Sequential List.

SequentialList_Macro.png
SequentialList_Macro.png (3.81 KiB) Viewed 17078 times
The Lighting Controller
support
Administrateur

Postby Tomlin » 29 March 2017, 14:03

I'm running 8.1.36. What version is this possible in? I tried it yesterday and was unsuccessful.
Eric Tomlin
Production Director
Bridge Community Church
Tomlin

Postby support » 29 March 2017, 14:21

Please update to V8.2.18.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5014
The Lighting Controller
support
Administrateur

Postby Tomlin » 29 March 2017, 15:16

Do the Macros have to live on a Live tab in order to be played in Sequential List, or can you remove them from the Live tab once they're saved and they still be available for Sequential List? If this is possible, then this may truly be the answer to stacking multiple scenes like I'm looking for.
Eric Tomlin
Production Director
Bridge Community Church
Tomlin

Next

Return to Editor - Steps