Programming steps for each song in a set

create scenes with steps

Programming steps for each song in a set

Postby MartinChilds » 13 February 2017, 21:59

I'm new to DMX and lighting control, so please be patient!
My band has 2 sets of 4 LED lights on stands and they are just on during our show flashing through the built in sequences.
We want to invest in Lighting control (and more lights) and this is what we want to be able to do.
For each song in our set we want to have the song title and then steps someone can click on at the right point in the song to make the lights do what we want.
For example:
Song 1
Intro - A wash of red light
Verses - a certain effect
Pre Solo - Haze machine is turned on
Solo - Bright light
end of song - Another effect

. . . and so on for each song.
How do we do that in ShowXpress. I watched the training videos and I think each 'effect' is a scene and those scenes are on pages (?) but I'm still not clear how we can get a set list and the effects we want simply presented to clikc through. Can't just start a sequence as when live can't be sure of pace, it has to be chosen to go to the next step.
Thanks,
Martin.
MartinChilds

Re: Programming steps for each song in a set

Postby BartKrap » 14 February 2017, 08:04

If you know the set in advance you can make a sequence list so you press 1 button to go to the next scene. If you don't know the set list in advance, I would make a live page with the scenes in order per song so someone can just press the scenes as the song progresses. I'd also advise to get a midi controller (apc mini is a great cheap option) or map certain scenes, like strobing, to a keyboard button.
Head of lighting, lighting designer and lighting operater at De Zoom and Pinky's in Renesse and Ron van der Veen Entertainment.
BartKrap

Re: Programming steps for each song in a set

Postby Tomlin » 28 March 2017, 13:48

Yes- Sequential List is huge in this area. I have been programming entire events this way. It's very tedious and time consuming but the result is stunning. Each of our songs have 8-14 scenes in it, with each event having 10-14 songs. So, when you do the math, we have about 120 or so scenes to program, but you figure out ways to do it faster with time. Plus, we have lots of lights so if you have far fewer lights, then you would likely have simpler and fewer scenes.
Eric Tomlin
Production Director
Bridge Community Church
Tomlin

Return to Editor - Steps