DMX Addressing Displacement

declare your lighting equipment

DMX Addressing Displacement

Postby ryvanz » 09 April 2020, 20:20

Hey there,

I read in a previous post that when you change the DMX address of a certain fixture, all created scenes will automatically move with that fixture to the new address, so there will be no issues with operation.

I recently changed the address of several fixtures, assuming that this would work, and now all of my DMX addressing is messed up. This may be because I created most of my scenes in an older version of the software. I do have a backup of my lightshow which was made prior to me modifying the DMX addressing, so is it possible to somehow apply a patch that updates all of the scenes in the lightshow to associate with the fixture as opposed to the addresses?

Thanks very much,
ryvanz

Re: DMX Addressing Displacement

Postby ryvanz » 09 April 2020, 21:49

ok so I determined that this is likely due to the fact that the scene files I am using are .sce, and they are supposed to be .scex right?

i went into preferences to select "automatically convert all sce files to scex files at launch, and restarted the software. The scex files now exist, but the buttons did not automatically reference each of the corresponding scex files. Is there any way to make this happen?

Thanks,
ryvanz

Postby SeekLighting » 09 April 2020, 22:21

So yeah the problem was you started in an old version of the software with .sce files. What needed to happen was you needed to convert them to .scex files BEFORE moving everything. Doing it after you've moved everything is likely what's corrupted your buttons...
SeekLighting

Postby ryvanz » 10 April 2020, 00:07

TimH wrote:So yeah the problem was you started in an old version of the software with .sce files. What needed to happen was you needed to convert them to .scex files BEFORE moving everything. Doing it after you've moved everything is likely what's corrupted your buttons...

I understand that now. Is it possible to have the buttons switch to all of the scex files without having to right click every single button?
ryvanz

Postby SeekLighting » 10 April 2020, 03:58

ryvanz wrote:
TimH wrote:So yeah the problem was you started in an old version of the software with .sce files. What needed to happen was you needed to convert them to .scex files BEFORE moving everything. Doing it after you've moved everything is likely what's corrupted your buttons...

I understand that now. Is it possible to have the buttons switch to all of the scex files without having to right click every single button?

Sadly not that I'm aware. I think it's button-by-button
SeekLighting

Postby support » 10 April 2020, 08:58

Yes, you have to manually assign the new scex scene for each button.
It would have been too intrusive to do that automatically.
The Lighting Controller
support
Administrateur

Postby ryvanz » 10 April 2020, 15:40

support wrote:Yes, you have to manually assign the new scex scene for each button.
It would have been too intrusive to do that automatically.

What do you mean by "intrusive"? I think it would help significantly, especially for someone like me who has roughly 1000 Live buttons that now need their files changed.

In the next version of the software, would it be possible to include an option to "Convert all Live buttons to .scex files"?
ryvanz

Postby support » 13 April 2020, 16:19

Noted.

In the meantime, you can:
- edit the file "../YourLightshow/Live/live.ini"
- find the lines with ".sce"
- replace ".sce" by ".scex"

Caution: please make a backup of the file "live.ini" before trying that. Or simply a backup of your complete lightshow.
The Lighting Controller
support
Administrateur

Postby thorehl » 13 April 2020, 17:32

support wrote:- replace ".sce" by ".scex"

@ryvanz
My text editor (Textpad) has option to "Replace all". Probable others as well
Thore
lydlys.com - Freelance sound & light engeneer
Using HW: D1024 & D512
Controller: 2x Akai APC mini
my DIY light mixer
thorehl

Postby ryvanz » 13 April 2020, 21:41

support wrote:Noted.

In the meantime, you can:
- edit the file "../YourLightshow/Live/live.ini"
- find the lines with ".sce"
- replace ".sce" by ".scex"

Caution: please make a backup of the file "live.ini" before trying that. Or simply a backup of your complete lightshow.

Awesome! Thanks so much.
ryvanz

Next

Return to Editor - Fixtures