[bug] Protocol Bugs - Fader_Change - Freeze_* - Auto_BPM*

remote control for the section "Live" of the software

[bug] Protocol Bugs - Fader_Change - Freeze_* - Auto_BPM*

Postby Tidwell » 24 February 2017, 04:52

Hi guys, I've recently been doing a lot with ShowXpress and was really excited when I saw the Protocol Definition document outlining how external applications can talk to Live. I'm a software developer by day, so I put together a node.js client library for talking to Live and a demo app replicating all the functionality of Live Mobile:

node.js client library
example app replicating Live Mobile in a browser

However, I found a few bugs that I'd like to submit. This was tested on a Macbook Pro running Sierra 10.12.3 with ShowXPress 8.2.16 - 170207

1. Adjusting a fader on a client app does not re-broadcast a FADER_CHANGE event to other client apps..
It does broadcast a FADER_CHANGE event if a fader changes using Live, but not with an external app.

To replicate:
- Open 2 client applications connected to the same ShowXpress instance.
- Adjust a fader in ShowXpress.
- Notice that both client apps show the moved faders.
- Adjust a fader in one of the client apps
- Notice that ONLY ShowXpress will have faders updated (not the client applications)
- ShowXpress is not rebroadcasting a FADER_CHANGE event to all client apps.

2. The Freeze events are not broadcast or re-broadcast..
Sending FREEZE_ON or FREEZE_OFF from a client app does not rebroadcast an event to other client apps. AND toggling Freeze in Live does not send an event to client apps.

To replicate:
- Toggle freeze in a client app
- Notice ShowXpress updates, but the other client app does not
- ShowXpress is not rebroadcasting a FREEZE_ON or FREEZE_OFF event to all client apps.

Also to replicate:
- Open a client application connected to a ShowXpress instance.
- Toggle freeze in ShowXpress
- Notice the client app does not get sent FREEZE_ON or FREEZE_OFF events

3. The AUTO_BPM_ON and AUTO_BPM_OFF events are not broadcast or re-broadcast..
Sending AUTO_BPM_ON or AUTO_BPM_OFF from a client app does not send an event to other client apps AND toggling AUTO_BPM in Live does not send an event to client apps.

To replicate:
- Toggle AUTO_BPM in a client app
- Notice ShowXpress updates, but the other client app does not
- ShowXpress is not rebroadcasting a AUTO_BPM_ON or AUTO_BPM_OFF event to all client apps.

Also to replicate:
- Open a client application connected to a ShowXpress instance.
- Toggle AUTO_BPM in ShowXpress
- Notice the client app does not get sent AUTO_BPM_ON or AUTO_BPM_OFF events

I also noticed, FREEZE_ON/FREEZE_OFF and AUTO_BPM_ON/AUTO_BPM_OFF are not documented in the Protocol Definition.

I have not yet been able to test the BEAT event, or have ever seen a BPM or BEAT_OFF message - I'm assuming these on get received/sent on Windows where Auto BPM works, but I imagine it is possible these may have similar issues of being rebroadcast to multiple client apps. Confirmation that these are windows-only would be helpful.

I've really enjoyed working on the client library and the demo app, and would love to continue developing more and updating as these bugs can be resolved.
Tidwell

Re: [bug] Protocol Bugs - FADER_CHANGE - FREEZE_* - AUTO_BPM

Postby support » 27 February 2017, 10:35

Thank you for this complete report.

Yes, the events other than page/button press are presently not transmitted to the external connected clients.
This is not really a bug.
The Lighting Controller
support
Administrateur

Return to General